Make-shift water bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flesh.Chobit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
So we were looking into different things for Jethra to use as a water bowl, aside from the two she has that she normally drinks out of because she sometimes tries to sit in them and now they're too small.

..however when we tried to use a bigger bowl from the kitchen she fell in upside down and could have drown! D:

So I was looking things up in Lowes since the only bowls at the local pet store are too big for her tank or look too deep for her to get in without falling again like last time.

I came upon this! (Pictures attached!) A mini roller tray. My idea is to fill the bottom with moss or something so it's not too deep for her and cover the walkway with moss so it's easy for her to walk in and out of. I'm also going to dig it in under the substrate and cover the surrounding with moss or some cedar or something. It's pretty small but big enough for her to walk into and turn to get out of.

It worries me for a little though because it's made of 100% recycled plastic and is biodegradable.

I'm wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to use this as a makeshift water bowl for her while she still fits in it or if the plastic can actually be harmful to her.

Help? ;~; <3

Attachments

• 110822-175324.jpg
    110822-175324.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 110822-175330.jpg
    110822-175330.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 87

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Would a plastic shoe box fit..Just cut it down to the depth you need and put a few clean rocks in there to give him some traction..

Flesh.Chobit

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
I updated with pics of it and I've never even seen a plastic shoe box and I feel it would be way too big for the enclosure I have...which is a 40 gal breeder tank

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Paint rolling trays are used often and many folks like them.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Good idea, I like it:). Let us know how it work's out.

Flesh.Chobit

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
I got freaked out that it would melt being a softer plastic and heard horror stories about toxins from water bottles. Since it felt about the same as a water bottle I went back out and got a ceramic bowl and a brick to use as a step down into the ceramic bowl.

Now that I know it's used though, if the ceramic bowl seems to not work how I want it to I'll use the paint roller.

Thanks guys! <3

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
You can use a Terra cotta dish from home depot. They are very shallow, inexpensive and come in all sizes. This is the advice I was given from TFO-re's and it works:)

M

Maggie Cummings

I use plastic roller trays for most of my indoor habitats...

Flesh.Chobit

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
Oh man so it was a good idea! ;~;!!

I knew I should have went with it.

She seems to like the thing we made though.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've used the paint roller tray many times for baby boxies. I put some small flat river rocks in the deeper end to make it more shallow. You had a good idea putting the moss in the entrance part .....good for traction and to keep the pan clean.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
All great ideas!! But don't use cedar, it's not tortie safe!

I use a banquet macaroni frozen dinner tray (small one), works great with a few little stones in the bottom.

Flesh.Chobit

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
I meany cypress if I said cedar..

I keep getting the names mixed up.

Good thing Rosie's the one doing the buying. xDDD

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I use a very small terracotta dish partly filled for my Hermanns babies because they flip often and in their water too.

When they have a soak I use a mini paint roller tray and because there is a ramp up out of the water, they can walk in and out as they please-usually if the water cools down too much as I use warm water.

I would think when they grow bigger I will just keep increasing their terracotta dishes as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.