Making a garden. Any Tips and Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I'm making a garden for my 8 1/2 inch Sulcata, 3 inch Sulcata, 2 3/4 inch Cherry Head, and 2 inch baby Leopard. What types of seeds should I plant in my new garden I'm making for their food supply? (buying food is getting to be a bother and a garden should help somewhat) I already have a hibiscus plant, kale seeds, romaine lettuce seeds, and turnip seeds, and sunflower seeds. What else should I plant? Any tips and/or suggestions?

I plan to do everything organic btw. No pestasides or chemicals :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always start with turnips. They don't eat the turnips, however, you can cut the greens off every week or so and the plant continues to grow...providing more greens and more greens. There is also a mixture of lettuces called "Spring Mix." I plant that, plus endive and escarole. I encourage weeds to grow in the lawn so I can harvest them too.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
emysemys said:
I always start with turnips. They don't eat the turnips, however, you can cut the greens off every week or so and the plant continues to grow...providing more greens and more greens. There is also a mixture of lettuces called "Spring Mix." I plant that, plus endive and escarole. I encourage weeds to grow in the lawn so I can harvest them too.

Thanks for the tip! I'll buy endive seeds as soon as I get the chance =] :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
Anyone else imagining yvonne out there chanting " grow, grow grow" to her weeds?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
do what i do and do aquaponics....fresh greens all year round for my torts :p

Attachments

• 541524_10151032808324742_756880377_n.jpg
    541524_10151032808324742_756880377_n.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 36

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
AustinASU said:
do what i do and do aquaponics....fresh greens all year round for my torts :p

That is the first time I've heard the term "aquaponics" do tell!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
:) what all do you want to know, i'm a pro at it and it's super easy :p grow fish and vegtables in one small loop ecosystem....get this no soil....grow all plants in rocks :p

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
AustinASU said:
:) what all do you want to know, i'm a pro at it and it's super easy :p grow fish and vegtables in one small loop ecosystem....get this no soil....grow all plants in rocks :p

Now I wanna know everything! What all are you growing? I'm starting to read more on edible mini farming etc mini because we move a lot and I do most everything in containers. I'd like to move into at least majority edible for everyone (especially torts, as if that's a question!)

redbeef

5 Year Member
If you're growing outdoors in SoCal, keep in mind that the hot summer months are only going to be around so much longer: you'll want to think about a fall garden rather than a summer one at this point. That said, Kale, and turnips and lettuce mixes are good for fall and winter in our climate

Status
Not open for further replies.