Making an enclosure safe

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Currently it looks like I am getting one leopard, but I need help with the enclosure.
The enclosure is made out of steel panels, aprox 1m×1,2m. (This panel is the exeption, the others I have, have 3-4 rods about 10cm deep)
20211104_135901.jpg
(The bottom wil be covered so that the tort doesn't see through)
I didn't expect to get an offer on leopards that quickly, so my enclosure planning is a bit behind.
I have the pannels to make a 25m² habitat, but I have a problem.
A great problem.
20211104_135939.jpg
A 5 month old great dane.
Before I continue, I want to point out that having a tort and dog together outside is a BIG NO.
She has grown a lot, and is about 90cm tall.
Before I build the enclosure in its place I need to know it will be safe. The question being, what should I use to cover the top. (Something like steel wire mesh or something else)
I do take my other tort Sunny out to the enclosure, and I sit beside the enclosure, the WHOLE time and, watch my tort, consistently, eyes on him the whole time.
I NEVER turn my back, because I know that it only takes one misstep and that tort is gone. I also make sure my dog stays far away while I'm there, I won't take a chance.
(It has happened in the past, my previous tort made it halfway through the fence and was impaled by a boxer canine.)
So I know this extremely important to keep my tort safe, and I would appreciate any help!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes you are very wise to worry about the dog - there are too many sad stories about torts who have been seriously injured or killed by the trusted family dog who has suddenly been spooked by a tort or decided to 'play' with it. :(
How old is the tort you're getting and are you thinking of leaving him outside 24/7?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He looks healthy
Is s/he wild caught or captive bred? I wonder if he's big enough to be outside full time yet?
They all grow at different rates but 13 cms /5 inches seems quite small for a 3 - 5 year old.
If he is wild caught maybe they grow slower because of a poorer diet than a captive bred. I didn't have my tort when he was a baby so I'm just guessing. He was over 25cm and estimated to be about 3 -5 years when he adopted me.
If he is outside day and night, you may also need a secure heated night box for the colder nights and - depending on your winter temps - maybe an insulated heated shed. My leopard doesn't go out until ground temps reach at least 70F Tom has a thread about his design which has been used by many.
The caresheet will tell you what temps he will need so you can make decisions based on your climate.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@Lyn W she is cb, but she has been raised outside all the time. She has had the tort for 5 years. @Tom has shared some advice on a previous thread on the nightboxes, so I'll look into that aswell

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I can't believe how small she is for her age. I would have thought she was less than a year old Not long after I had my tort I saw a 3 year old leopard who was more than 30cms long....what a difference!
Hopefully this one will start to thrive with your care.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@Lyn W do you think it can be stunting, that can affect her later on from growing fully, or is she just slow growing because of conditions? (She has slight pyramyding but her shell looks good?)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
She's really pretty. I am unsure of the wire panels for an enclosure...I was always taught if a tortoise can see out...they will always want out...I use cinder block so none can see in or out...there is no way to tell her health immediately...you will just have to wait and see...if she eats, poops and plays she's 'probably' alright. But only time will tell. You need to stop watching every more your tortoises make...they are normally prey, so you are the big giant always there...stop watching so much...especially Lily the Leopard.100_0775.JPG
This is my Sulcata pens...the tires are played with...any way...you can keep your leopard the same way I keep my Sulcata...
100_0803.JPG

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Thanks @maggie3fan , I will close the bottom panels of the enclosure.
(I may have new tort syndrome, luckily I have read that if she is stunted, she can still grow) I will be fetching her on Saturday, so these are the only images I have of her sent by the current owner. But these images can only say so much, so I'll wait and see

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks @maggie3fan , I will close the bottom panels of the enclosure.
(I may have new tort syndrome, luckily I have read that if she is stunted, she can still grow) I will be fetching her on Saturday, so these are the only images I have of her sent by the current owner. But these images can only say so much, so I'll wait and see
There is no way for anyone to know if a tortoise is permanently stunted, or if it has just been growing slowly due to the conditions it has been living in. Outdoors full time is not good for babies and it slows their growth tremendously. With improved conditions and warmth, growth rate should increase.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
A great problem.
20211104_135939.jpg

A 5 month old great dane.
Before I continue, I want to point out that having a tort and dog together outside is a BIG NO.
She has grown a lot, and is about 90cm tall.
Before I build the enclosure in its place I need to know it will be safe. The question being, what should I use to cover the top. (Something like steel wire mesh or something else)
Thanks for the help with assessing the torts health, hopefuly I'll be able to send photos soon. Does anyone have suggestions what to use to cover the top?