making hides

Status
Not open for further replies.

idrial

5 Year Member
I am constructing a table for my greeks. I have been having a hard time locating hides that are of the proper size, so I was going to make my own. I've seen pictures here and there that have given me some general ideas. I was going to go to the hardware store to pick up some flower pots and pavers to construct something nice. What type of adhesive would be ok to use to make sure nothing collapses on them?

I've also seen plastic boxes with doors cut from them. I am curious if the edge from the cut can be sharp enough to harm the tort. Do I need to worry about this or should he be fine?

I've also read that plants count somewhat as hides. Should I use live plants or fake plants? Do I have to worry about the materials of the fake plants being eaten and/or toxic?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The very best hide I have seen is the 'moist root hide' from Radiata magazine that has been linked to in various forums. I am not in a place I can link to it here, but maybe someone can do so before I get home. The woman basically raised a slab of grazing grasses on a piece of hardware cloth metal mesh until the roots stuck out, then used the mesh to hold the growing slab in a arch to make a 'hobbit hole' kind of hide! The hide also added exploration space and food.

The best hides offer a sense of closeness to the tortoise, offer high humidity or actual shell contact with naturally moist materials, offers a comfortable temperature, and a sense of security. So far, my most successful hides (for Red-foots) have been formed by making a pile of damp brown paper torn into roughly leaf shapes, and a hide formed by making a hill of cypress mulch that I then hollowed out, filled with fluffy long-fibered sphagnum moss, and covered with a slab of natural bark. I added a half-log for a tunnel, but the tortoises quickly made their own entrances.

The cool thing about the 'covered hill' is that when I lift the bark to maintain, fluff, and redampen the moss, I find they have made tunnels and 'nests' in there! I also like that they freely climb and explore the hill.

Understand that I am using warming cables under the substrate, so it is snugly warm in there. I also have small potted plants in a corner and on the 'far end' of the bark to help stabilize the hill.

Plants- live plants that the tortoise can eat, or that it will ignore and offer shade and cover are great. You can use fake and they will usually ignore them, but real plants offer a lot of benefits. You can even leave the plants in tip resistant pots and just lift them out to replace or maintain them.

Plastic box hides- The sharp edge is a little worrisome, but you can either sand it or cover it with tape to make it safer.

Paving blocks- this seems heavy for a tortoise table. I would suggest instead making a simple plywood 'shed' that can be covered to look more natural.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I use plastic small and medium size totes for young tortoises. Probably like the ones that you're questioning. The edges shouldn't be sharp enough to injure, especially since they're semi flexible plastic. But, you can do as I do and sand the edges with a finer grit (150 & up) sandpaper. This makes them very smooth. I also paint the outside of the containers with black paint in order to make them dark inside. I like using the containers because they hold humidity well when using a dampened substrate in them and the lids can easily be opened to check on or remove tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here you go: http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II

1. I like to use aquarium silicone. After it cures for 24-48 hours, its strong, water proof, sticks to anything and totally non-toxic. You can find it at any pet store.

2. I've been using plastic shoe boxes for 20 years. I've never had any reptile of any kind injured by the edge of the hole in the box.

3. I've never been able to use plants with my tortoises. They trample or eat them. Even the plastic ones. I know others have used them successfully, so I would take their advice.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I use a ice cream tub filled with sphagnum moss and have had no problems with sharp edges,i also have a half log that is a dry hide and i stacked 3 flat slates in a bridge formation under the hot spot these are wide and flat so did not need glue but have anoth room under the middle for Shelby to hide or just walk underneath it works great for now i am sure i will have to adjust the coconut levels as she grows but she love it she uses the top to bask and also loves climbing over it when not sitting beneath it to cool down

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Tom said:
Here you go: http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II

1. I like to use aquarium silicone. After it cures for 24-48 hours, its strong, water proof, sticks to anything and totally non-toxic. You can find it at any pet store.

"Aquarium" silicone is EXPENSIVE. And you know what? ANY 100% silicone is completely safe!!! I have resealed literally DOZENS of aquariums over the years using the Mainstays brand of 100% silicone from Walmart, at less than $4 for 12+ ounces. Aquarium silicone is almost $10 for an ounce or two! AND IT IS THE SAME DANG THING, IN A DIFFERENT PACKAGE!!!! ;)

It is a racket to get your money, lol. As I said, any 100% silicone is safe and non-toxic once it cures. Full curing time takes about 2 days, and you know when it is because the vinegar smell is gone. Avoid any silicone that has mildew inhibiting agents. Other than that, have at it!!!

idrial

5 Year Member
Awesome advice guys. I *really* love that article on the Humid Hide Boxes with the grass growing on it. I will have to get started on one of those... it's such a great idea. :)

In the meanwhile, I will use some plastic shoe boxes. I'd love to construct something with wood but my tools right now are limited. I need to purchase a dremmel. :( Next paycheck I will!

Perhaps "pavers" was a bad term. I am going to build something using slightly larger river rocks. Silicon will be a good adhesive for that. I am also going to use some plastic aquarium plants while I track down/grow some real plants. My greeks are brand new (to me) so we'll see how they react to fake plants first.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
That's a cool idea. I am sure if we look we can find plastic mesh cloth or containers that can bee used to make our Mesh Cha Cha Chia Hides.

Skip fakes plants and go natural. They'll make the cage look better, should be edible, and cleanse the air.

Plastic mesh trash cans, woven baskets, or custom metal garden art.

My concern is not sharp edges as ingenuity or a ready made object will take care of that. Its retaining enough moisture. You got air movement traveling 3D. Use a thirsty plant like Dichondra which loves the direct Sun and water every 2 days.

I think if you use some stiff galvanized screening (1/2" or 10mm) and make your arc like a Native American Longhouse or Igloo, the soil won't fall through. Use an established flat because the soil will try to wash away before the roots will form the web to prevent erosion. Simple physics.

I have been using Zoomed Habba Huts with moss as the sleep by number mattress. It usually gets kicked out when the three snuggle up but, it sure keeps moist.

I'm all over this natural project. My 3 yearling Greeks can mow down a 18 X 18 flat of plush Dichondra in 3 weeks with weekly supplemental 1lb Spring Mix, Opuntia, and Tort pellets, etc.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Anyone actually make these "moist root hides"?

I'm still figuring out the structure. I can steam bend 18" dowels in the nuker. For fun: 10" dowel makes a 6" diameter arc. Not bad for a baby hide.

Fun part is waiting for the seedlings to grow through a screen to form the roof rug and making the skeletal mailbox structure with wooden dowels or hickory switches. Whatever I find.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
If you "cut" plastic using a cheap soldering iron the edges come out smooth.

Also, have you looked at the coconut husk liners they make for hanging plants? They sell them in the garden section of my local walmart for around $3, and I bet they'd work well.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
chairman said:
If you "cut" plastic using a cheap soldering iron the edges come out smooth.

Also, have you looked at the coconut husk liners they make for hanging plants? They sell them in the garden section of my local walmart for around $3, and I bet they'd work well.

Yep. Had all kinds of ideas swirling around yesterday. Fiberglass screening, burlap, hemp for you ultra green people, cocnut husk liners, etc. The point of the moist root hide is to have the moist dirt right there. No plastic for me Thanks.

I don't know about this for indoors. I'll have to take my time and experiment. Maybe someone can show us the article.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I second the vote for someone showing us the article, or letting us know the name of it so we can search it out. I'd love to read it.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I recently remodeled my Russian's enclosure. This picture shows some of the hides:
The red and yellow hides are bins (turned upside down) from the dollar store.
I have fake plants in there, as well as a flower pot turned on it's side, with fake plants in front of it to give him more privacy. I also have a half log.

IMG_0624.jpg

He only really uses the red bin; sometimes he'll hide under the fake plants :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.