Making my own fall/winter seed mix

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So while I’m prepping my outdoor enclosure I’m also trying to prep my entire yard. I have extremely sandy soil, like think beach sand. It’s easy to grow things in, it’s hard to keep them growing. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on fixing my soil and one way was to plant cover crops. Which is perfect since that is pretty much what I want to grow. So I’m looking to make a nice seed mix that is all great for grazing but can survive sandy soil and cold weather. I will also reseed with spring crops after our last freeze. So far I know I’ll be doing crimson clover and a couple winter grass seeds. What else would you recommend? I don’t want a pre done mix as I can’t guarantee it will do well in my conditions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Take a look at what Kapidolo Farms sells in his tortoise food mixes and see if any of that would work for you. Keep in mind he is in CA. He does I believe sell seeds too.

Violanna

Texas
Take a look at what Kapidolo Farms sells in his tortoise food mixes and see if any of that would work for you. Keep in mind he is in CA. He does I believe sell seeds too.
Yeah my only worry is what will and won’t grow in my yard. I tried a seed mix from tortoise supply last year and the ONLY seed that took was the cowpeas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah my only worry is what will and won’t grow in my yard. I tried a seed mix from tortoise supply last year and the ONLY seed that took was the cowpeas.
You'll have to see what is hardy for your area and then may have to make some changes to the sand/soil. You could also plant them in big bins and once they have taken off really good, either transplant them to your yard or leave them growing in the bins.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How much area are you talking about? And how fast do you want to improve it?

The cover crops can help over a longer timeframe. If you want faster results, then you'll need to amend the sandy soil with compost and other organic matter. Or for 'immediate' results till some good soil into the top few inches and top dress.

Your profile says Texas; this site lets you select your county and gives seed recommendations based on the ecoregion.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Take a look what American Meadows has for your area..