Making new enclosures and need advice.

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
I currently have 4 torts 2 yellowfoots and 2 Redfoots in a 6x2 enclosure, they are all doing great but I'm buying another 6x2 enclosure. My original thought was to put the 2 smaller ones together and the 2 bigger ones in the other pen. But my question to what's more important putting the certain spieces together or is size more important when housing them? I have a yellowfoot and redfoot that are 7" long and a yellowfoot and redfoot that are 4" in the summer they will all be housed together outside in a 6x35 pen and brought in at night. ImageUploadedByTortForum1395785059.600323.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1395785096.284964.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, you should separate the species.

abclements

5 Year Member
I agree with Yvonne. While yellow foots and red foots have very similar environments, the chances of breeding is too high And you will most likely end up with a red getting hurt since the yellows will get so much bigger.

As an aside question, how big is your biggest red foot? Both length and height if possible. I only ask because I'm am in the process of starting a new enclosure and it would be nice to have a reference to go off of.

mikeh

5 Year Member
While I agree keeping species separate, if the two larger ones are of same sex my priority in this case would be keeping same sizes together. Smaller tortoises still have few years before maturing.
In tight quarters too big of size difference between animals may have negative impact on the smaller tortoise. The size difference between larger and smaller animals in this case is significant.
Ultimately you can pair them by species and closely observe behavior of smaller tortoises.
Glad to see you went for additional enclosure, it was getting to tight for comfort.

abclements

5 Year Member
Silly me. I was much too tired last night lol I reread your post and saw the lengths this time!

Maybe split them up by size for now, but when both reach close to sexual maturity, go back to species

abclements

5 Year Member
Honestly, I'm not actually sure. I've read about 6-8 inches is when they get there... but mines only 5 inches. You're also going to have to worry about keeping them in pairs and bullying and such

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
Here's their new inside enclosures :) so happy with the way they turned out :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1396912970.913067.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396912980.693723.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396912994.061669.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: