Making the tank "higher"

klaca

Location (City and/or State)
Czechia
Hello!
I am rebuilding my musk turtle's tank. I've got bad info and bought short tank, since I thought that 3 inches of water are going to be enough. I would like to add few more gallons of water to the tank, but I struggle with the basking area. My turtle can turn into ninja turtle very quickly and 2 - 3 inches of glass above the basking log won't definitly stop her. Do you have any ideas on how to make the barrier around basking area "higher"? I would like to attach some material to the glass, even though I am pretty sure it is going to look kinda awfull. What kind of glue and material would be safe and durable? I am not really experienced when it comes to diy and this stuff.
Thank you !!!!!

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hello!
I am rebuilding my musk turtle's tank. I've got bad info and bought short tank, since I thought that 3 inches of water are going to be enough. I would like to add few more gallons of water to the tank, but I struggle with the basking area. My turtle can turn into ninja turtle very quickly and 2 - 3 inches of glass above the basking log won't definitly stop her. Do you have any ideas on how to make the barrier around basking area "higher"? I would like to attach some material to the glass, even though I am pretty sure it is going to look kinda awfull. What kind of glue and material would be safe and durable? I am not really experienced when it comes to diy and this stuff.
Thank you !!!!!
You could zip tie some pieces of egg crate together to fit snug around the tank as high as you want.
AQUA KT 6 PCS Aquarium Fish Tank Divider Plastic Egg Crate Tray Grid Isolation Bottom Board Fish Separator, White, 30 cm x 15cm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08358Z4GJ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I would cap the top frame with strips of glass laying flat cut to size. Factoring in gaps for any cords or filters coming over the top edge. The width of the glass barrier would be whatever is needed to confine the turtle. Probably an inch and half to two inches. After you get the glass cut sand all sharp edges with regular sand paper to make it safe from cutting anyone. Glue it in place with silicone. The plus is it will hardly be noticeable.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Not to discount any other ideas already mentioned but if I'm understanding this, you are just preventing a jailbreak from the platform being too close to the top..... What about putting a top on it? They don't need a ton of room and they will crawl into a 1-1/2- 2" clear space, if you've got that much. Plexiglass, 1/8" at Home depot drilled worked for me for many years although I'm sure there are better ways. They would press against it but never tried to dislodge it. Mine would become and stay drippy wet so it would discolor & the plex was safe and easy to clean once in awhile.

Don't feel bad, a lot of us tried the shallow approach first! I did it because I am lazy but I was unable to get environmental balance with such little water. Once you get that balance with the little guys, any plants, snails, sediment, food given, etc, it was a lot less work!

When I read DD's eggcrate, all that came to mind was a Super Ninja turtle going "Spiderman" straight up the side.......one foot after another.....very vivid imagery. LOL It will work though, and super cheap.

Good luck & WELCOME to the club! Guess they don't have Home Depots over there....LOL

jeff

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could get this basking platform shown in picture. Another idea is to get another aquarium, smaller one that will fit your aquarium side to side and flip it upside down over the basking area.
Could do the same with a plastic tote
Screenshot_20220121-075743_Chrome.jpgo

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is what I came up with a couple years ago when I was still using a tank. You could easily make one that sits on top of the tank.