Making your own hand sanitizer?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have liquid ALOE and some 91% alcohol.
Does anyone know how to make an effective hand sanitizer?
My guess is to ad about 10% alcohol to the Aloe.
This is just a guess.
Also, is there an ingredient that I've missed?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A little goes a long way. I used a $4 bottle of grain alcohol from the liquor store.
I have some Vodka. I don't drink it. It's about 40% alcohol.
I also have a gallon of denatured alcohol for auto body prep.
I don't even know what it is!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My wife has been making it. I'll ask her for the recipe when she gets off the phone. It might be a while... She talks a lot... Don't hold your breath...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have liquid ALOE and some 91% alcohol.
Does anyone know how to make an effective hand sanitizer?
My guess is to ad about 10% alcohol to the Aloe.
This is just a guess.
Also, is there an ingredient that I've missed?
I think it is about 1 cup of alcohol to a quarter cup of aloe maybe a little more aloe. Or even the opposite. I think as long as it's 91% alcohol it's effective...my only problem with aloe is that whatever you put it with makes that chemical sink into your skin.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
idk I'd just use alcohol and rub until dry if I wanted to do something other than just hand washing. You can moisturize afterwards if you need/want to.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think it is about 1 cup of alcohol to a quarter cup of aloe maybe a little more aloe. Or even the opposite. I think as long as it's 91% alcohol it's effective...my only problem with aloe is that whatever you put it with makes that chemical sink into your skin.
That's 4 to 1 so closer to 75%.
I suppose 60% plus is the key.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
You can also make hand sanitizer with alcohol, hand soap, and a bit of bleach. How is going in your part of the World? Here in Houston,TX seems like every other day. Enough food, just that most stores are closed and there’s more people being cautious like stores.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You can also make hand sanitizer with alcohol, hand soap, and a bit of bleach. How is going in your part of the World? Here in Houston,TX seems like every other day. Enough food, just that most stores are closed and there’s more people being cautious like stores.

Alcohol and bleach should never be mixed.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I used 90%. Alcohol, here's. The mix I used, 1 cup alcohol, added to 1/2 cup aloe, three drops orange oil, for scent, or you also could put the alcohol in a small spray bottle, by it's self to it also works for killing germs but also smell alot stronger, , your only missing the oil, but it's just optional so it smells better

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Until a few months ago, most of us didn’t give hand sanitizer much thought. Now it’s sold out around the world, prompting a variety of do-it-yourself recipes that are designed to be mixed up in a home kitchen.
But medical experts discourage D.I.Y. sanitizer for a variety of reasons. For starters, it lacks quality control — a wrong measurement or ingredient and you may end up with less alcohol than needed to kill germs, or a mixture that is contaminated.“We don’t have sterile production facilities in our houses,” said Dr. Ted Lain, a dermatologist and chief medical officer for Sanova Dermatology, a group of 15 medical practices in Texas and Louisiana. “I’m concerned the percentage of alcohol is going to be incorrect. I’m concerned that the tools that are going to be used for it are not sterile and could be introducing bacteria, fungi and viruses into the hand sanitizer. And you hear about essential oils and other things being added that can cause contact sensitization,” or allergic reactions.
And then there’s the larger concern that sanitizer — whether it’s store bought or home made — is not as effective at killing germs as just washing your hands with soap and water.