Making Your Own Humid Hide-Should There Be An Entrance On Both Ends?

amyzabel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Goodyear, AZ
I want to make a humid hide for my RT. Should it have an opening in both ends, or is a large doorway in one end enough? I don't want him to get inside and then feel trapped or have a hard time getting back out. I would love to see photos of humid hides any of you have made!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I want to make a humid hide for my RT. Should it have an opening in both ends, or is a large doorway in one end enough? I don't want him to get inside and then feel trapped or have a hard time getting back out. I would love to see photos of humid hides any of you have made!

If you make two doors, the hide won't stay very humid. All the ventilation will dry it out.

One door. One small door, just big enough for the tortoise to fit through. Don't worry. They know where the entrance/exit is. Its the only place where the light comes in. If you were in a dark room, wouldn't you notice the light coming from an open door?

I make humid hides out of large black dishwashing tubs. $1.82 at Walmart. Flip them upside down, cut out a door hole and dampen the substrate under them. Done.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to back my hides up to the wall with one way in and out. This is more like a cave and feels more secure and safe.