Male and female personalities

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
I tried to search older posts but was unable to find any that discussed the different personalities of both male and female cherryheads. Are they that different? Are females ever aggressive or just males? Which is more social or are they the same?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Unfortunately they can be equally jerky in both sexes and equally laid back. Some girls are meaner and more aggressive than some of my males. The boys actively seek out the girls for obvious reasons. The girls generally end up drifting together in the shade and at night. Girls fight amongst themselves to enforce the pecking order, kinda like teenagers.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
allegraf said:
Unfortunately they can be equally jerky in both sexes and equally laid back. Some girls are meaner and more aggressive than some of my males. The boys actively seek out the girls for obvious reasons. The girls generally end up drifting together in the shade and at night. Girls fight amongst themselves to enforce the pecking order, kinda like teenagers.

Perfect answer!........Also I might ad, Usually there is an Alpha Male who is constantly on patrol of the grounds when kept in "herd" type settings.
:shy:

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA
N2TORTS said:
allegraf said:

Perfect answer!........Also I might ad, Usually there is an Alpha Male who is constantly on patrol of the grounds when kept in "herd" type settings.

My Cherry F's (as we have decided they are) are def. more "pushy" than the others...there is 1 who is the Queen of the castle, but she is less pushy with the other Cherry than my yellow headed ones...neat to see the hierarchy and be able to understand what is going on!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
N2TORTS said:
allegraf said:

This is good to know, I've been wondering about this as well. Good question Charlie!

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Personality is unique to every individual tortoise. Yes there are alpha males and females but in my experience they all have personalities of their own.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
jrcrist4 said:
Personality is unique to every individual tortoise. Yes there are alpha males and females but in my experience they all have personalities of their own.

I agree that they all have personalities of their own but wasn't sure if gender came into play. I have three unsexed that are years away from maturing. Wondering if they are going to be able to stay together as adults. Worst case could be two males and one female or three males.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
CharlieM said:
jrcrist4 said:

I agree that they all have personalities of their own but wasn't sure if gender came into play. I have three unsexed that are years away from maturing. Wondering if they are going to be able to stay together as adults. Worst case could be two males and one female or three males.

I have a very pushy inquisitive regular female(youngest and smallest too!) and a bold cherry male. A shy cherry female and a new cherry female who isn't shy at all.
Seems a real mixed bunch that I have here.
You may get away with more males in a group especially as they are together growing up, I guess you would need to watch for hierarchy problems as they mature though.
It seems the red foots are one of the more social species.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
CharlieM said:
jrcrist4 said:

I'm in an almost exact same situation you are in. Only difference is I have 4 (one unknown race red foot and 3 cherries). I ideally wanted 3 but came across a good opportunity, so now I have 4. I figure I'll raise them for the next few years and when they are old enough to determine the gender I'll make any necessary reduction in my number. I'm definitely not adding anymore. Knowing my luck though I'll end up with 3 males and one female.

Status
Not open for further replies.