Male and female together

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu

5 Year Member
Hello all, I have recently taken control of two spur thighed/greek tortoises and to my untrained eye I believe I have one female and one male, the male is about half the size of the female and they have lived together for years with no issues. I've read so much about not keeping one female and male together and I haven't got the space to separate them so my question is do I really need to if there have been no issues. I will up load some photos to make sure I'm not getting it wrong as the person who had them before me was told they were both girls.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378711370.383912.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1378711402.499513.jpg

I should add the white stuff around the big ones mouth is not foam it had just eaten something and I had nothing to wipe it off with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Pairs can indeed get along with various circumstances at play. If a male is overly arduous and aggressively so, then measures should be taken to reduce the stress for the female (dilution in a group, more space, more sight barriers, separation). However, if they are getting along well, there is no express need to interfere with what has been working.

stu

5 Year Member
Thank you for your quick reply that's great news I would hate to have to get rid of one but I do want what's best for them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
It will depend on their behavior. Be observant/vigilant. Then you can do what is best for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.