Male Desert Totoise For Adoption in Southern California

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Ok. Got it. I though captive bred animals will usually be healthier than the wild animals since there is someone taking care of them. I know many wild tortoises have the parasitic disease. I also read some data from online that captive bred animals usually live longer than wild animals
It's not that one is healthier than the other. Gopherus agassizzi are an endangered species in California. "The parasitic disease"? Do you mean mycoplasma? Disease of the blood and first that started a serious decline in the wild population in the Mojave, then the U.S. Air Force decided they needed those hundreds of miles of the Mojave for their planes. So they loaded up as many tortoises as possible and moved them hundreds of miles away, not even bothering to find out that these desert tortoises are very territorial and most died trying to get home.
I assumed he meant African spurred tortoise, sorry for the misunderstanding
Are you planning on paying for shipping for an 'older' Sulcata? Do you have the room for one? What makes you think you and grandpa can raise one? I have 2... lets talk

dustin brassell

Salem Alabama
It's not that one is healthier than the other. Gopherus agassizzi are an endangered species in California. "The parasitic disease"? Do you mean mycoplasma? Disease of the blood and first that started a serious decline in the wild population in the Mojave, then the U.S. Air Force decided they needed those hundreds of miles of the Mojave for their planes. So they loaded up as many tortoises as possible and moved them hundreds of miles away, not even bothering to find out that these desert tortoises are very territorial and most died trying to get home.

Are you planning on paying for shipping for an 'older' Sulcata? Do you have the room for one? What makes you think you and grandpa can raise one? I have 2... lets talk
Yes we were planning on paying shipping. We would like a tortoise that is big enough to stay out side. We were looking to adopt one because buying an older one is just so expensive. We have tons or room and tons of grass. We have the capabilities to build an insulated house for cold nights, and to build fencing. We live in Alabama so the climate is pretty good for a sulcata. We have a raised garden growing lettuce and other leafy greens that the tortoise would love. I must say I apologise for my grandfathers comments, he means we'll just gets a little carried away sometimes. You said you have 2, were you looking for a home for them? Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Yes we were planning on paying shipping. We would like a tortoise that is big enough to stay out side. We were looking to adopt one because buying an older one is just so expensive. We have tons or room and tons of grass. We have the capabilities to build an insulated house for cold nights, and to build fencing. We live in Alabama so the climate is pretty good for a sulcata. We have a raised garden growing lettuce and other leafy greens that the tortoise would love. I must say I apologise for my grandfathers comments, he means we'll just gets a little carried away sometimes. You said you have 2, were you looking for a home for them? Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Any tortoise can live outside once they’re older no matter the species.

dustin brassell

Salem Alabama
Are you sure you can care for them properly? Have you read the care sheets? They eat lots, are destructive, and are big monsters ?.
Im pretty confident that we can care for one, we've done lots of research, and we're very capable of building a nice big, sturdy enclosure. Ive also gathered lots of little tricks from kamp kenan on yt.

Colorado Springs,CO
Im pretty confident that we can care for one, we've done lots of research, and we're very capable of building a nice big, sturdy enclosure. Ive also gathered lots of little tricks from kamp kenan on yt.
Kamp Kenan gives old, outdated info. I would not consider him a trustworthy source. This caresheet is the correct info...

Colorado Springs,CO
Also, Sulcatas need heated night boxes for night time. Also a heated and insulated shed for winter. This can cost thousands of dollars. Are you sure you can financially support the food, care, and housing for a tortoise of their size?

dustin brassell

Salem Alabama
Also, Sulcatas need heated night boxes for night time. Also a heated and insulated shed for winter. This can cost thousands of dollars. Are you sure you can financially support the food, care, and housing for a tortoise of their size?
Absolutely, we built a chicken coop from scratch ( a lot of people buy them ) and the chickens need a lot of the same care, such as good and shelter. We've learned a lot about sulcatas and with our pretty large yard and the ability to build a little house and fencing, we think we're ready for a large sulcata

Colorado Springs,CO
Absolutely, we built a chicken coop from scratch ( a lot of people buy them ) and the chickens need a lot of the same care, such as good and shelter. We've learned a lot about sulcatas and with our pretty large yard and the ability to build a little house and fencing, we think we're ready for a large sulcata
My advice is too read the care sheet carefully, if you are sure you can do everything in there, then you can get one of those monsters. They are one of my favorite torts, very large personalities.

merrymimi

Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Hello,
I have a Male Desert Tortoise that I need to rehome. He belonged to my uncle who has just recently passed. I have a lot of memories with him and I wish I could take him but I don’t have a backyard suitable for him and he would not last among the other wildlife around my area. HIs age is unknown but he was adopted from a tortoise rescue over 20 years ago. He would fight with the other male tortoises at the rescue which I believe is common. He stands high off the ground and I think he’s pretty fast for a tortoise. He will come up to people to get his head scratched. I want him to continue to have a good life. I will take a picture of him as soon as I can.
Thanks
Kevin
Hi Kevin, Don’t know if you have rehomed your uncles tortoise yet, but I am looking for a desert tortoise. We had a 50 year old that was instructed to stay on our previous land. I do live in Southern California. Thanks, Merry

Ggarrett76

Palm Desert, CA
Hello,
I have a Male Desert Tortoise that I need to rehome. He belonged to my uncle who has just recently passed. I have a lot of memories with him and I wish I could take him but I don’t have a backyard suitable for him and he would not last among the other wildlife around my area. HIs age is unknown but he was adopted from a tortoise rescue over 20 years ago. He would fight with the other male tortoises at the rescue which I believe is common. He stands high off the ground and I think he’s pretty fast for a tortoise. He will come up to people to get his head scratched. I want him to continue to have a good life. I will take a picture of him as soon as I can.
Thanks
Kevin
Hi Kevin! Did you find a home for your tort yet?
Thanks!
Grant 661-857-4053