Male Eastern Box Turtle captive bred hatchling wanted

TurtleMaMa57

Location (City and/or State)
Jasper
I am looking to adopt a captive bred male Eastern Box turtle hatchling. I live in GA

zovick

10 Year Member!
I am looking to adopt a captive bred male Eastern Box turtle hatchling. I live in GA
Just FYI, it is illegal to keep any reptile native to the state of GA in captivity in GA. In the past, I have been told that the state does not differentiate the different subspecies from each other, either. This would mean that GA residents may not keep any subspecies of Terrapene carolina in GA. That rules out Eastern Box, Florida Box, and Gulf Coast Box Turtles for any resident of GA.

You could, however, keep Ornate Box Turtles legally.

Also, I am not sure at the moment if the state considers the Three-toed Box Turtle as a separate species of its own or as a subspecies of T. carolina. If it is deemed to be a separate species, then they could be legally kept as well.

TurtleMaMa57

Jasper
You are right for wild caught EBT's, but I am looking for a captive bred EBT, which is legal to own. Believe me, I have done my research.

zovick

10 Year Member!
You are right for wild caught EBT's, but I am looking for a captive bred EBT, which is legal to own. Believe me, I have done my research.
That's good! I just wanted to make you aware in case you didn't know. I guess you know more about it than I do,.

TurtleMaMa57

Jasper
Just FYI, it is illegal to keep any reptile native to the state of GA in captivity in GA. In the past, I have been told that the state does not differentiate the different subspecies from each other, either. This would mean that GA residents may not keep any subspecies of Terrapene carolina in GA. That rules out Eastern Box, Florida Box, and Gulf Coast Box Turtles for any resident of GA.

You could, however, keep Ornate Box Turtles legally.

Also, I am not sure at the moment if the state considers the Three-toed Box Turtle as a separate species of its own or as a subspecies of T. carolina. If it is deemed to be a separate species, then they could be legally kept as well.
When I'm right, I'm right and when I'm wrong, I'm wrong and in this case, I was wrong and you were right and I'm sorry. I got bad information from someone who I thought knew what he was talking about; he didn't. I checked with fish & wildlife here in GA. and they confirmed that what you said was right and it does include the three toed box turtle. So, now I guess I am looking for an Ornate box turtle.
Anyway, like I said, I'm sorry and I'm glad you posted that reply because it caused me to question my resources and find out the truth. It saddens me that I cannot have an EBT, but I cannot break the law either. In order for me to own any of the ones you mentioned above, I would have to have either a breeders, license or a scientific, or educational license and I cannot afford to do that as they are quite expensive.
Hope you have a Blessed day,
Sherrie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sherrie: I wanted to chime in on the fact you're looking for a 'male hatchling.' Turtles and tortoises all look female from hatch until they start maturing. You won't know the sex of a turtle until it's a few years old. Yes, they are TDSD, but that's sometimes a crap shoot. (temperature dependent sex determination)

zovick

10 Year Member!
When I'm right, I'm right and when I'm wrong, I'm wrong and in this case, I was wrong and you were right and I'm sorry. I got bad information from someone who I thought knew what he was talking about; he didn't. I checked with fish & wildlife here in GA. and they confirmed that what you said was right and it does include the three toed box turtle. So, now I guess I am looking for an Ornate box turtle.
Anyway, like I said, I'm sorry and I'm glad you posted that reply because it caused me to question my resources and find out the truth. It saddens me that I cannot have an EBT, but I cannot break the law either. In order for me to own any of the ones you mentioned above, I would have to have either a breeders, license or a scientific, or educational license and I cannot afford to do that as they are quite expensive.
Hope you have a Blessed day,
Sherrie
No problem. I was not offended. I am old enough to have a fairly thick skin! Glad you double-checked the info before making an error.

Hopefully you will be able to find what you want. In case you would like a little help, there are fellows in FL and in TX who is selling some nice Ornate (the desert subspecies) Box Turtles right now. these are Terrapene ornata luteola.

Here are links to the ads:

TurtleMaMa57

Jasper
No problem. I was not offended. I am old enough to have a fairly thick skin! Glad you double-checked the info before making an error.

Hopefully you will be able to find what you want. In case you would like a little help, there are fellows in FL and in TX who is selling some nice Ornate (the desert subspecies) Box Turtles right now. these are Terrapene ornata luteola.

Here are links to the ads:

Thank you for your understanding and for the links!