Male Hermann Not Interested in Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpard

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Llandudno,Wales,UK
Hi all,

When i introduced My Male Hermann to my Female Hermann i was worried incase he kept trying to mount her all the time...but he isn't interested.He'll cuddle up to her to sleep & share his food but isn't interested in mating her but mounts his Ornament which is about the same size as Pandora.

Does anyone know why this is? Is he just being a Gentlemen :p

He's 6 Inches & she 5.4 Inches.

TBH i don't really mind if he doesn't want to mate her just a bit confused as i thought he's be all over her LOL:rolleyes:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Male Hermann's are never "gentlemen" when in the mood! They won't necessarily automatically breed if just put together. Were they hibernated or have they experienced any type of seasonal change in light duration, intensity and temperture changes? Waking from hibernation to spring like conditions is what "triggers" a male and female to want to breed. They must both be ready to breed also. Not just one of them. If the seasonal change has not happened it's doubtful that either will have the desire to breed. What temperatures, humidity and light duration are they currently be kept at? Are they kept together all the time? Any and all information that you can give will definitely help

Herpard

5 Year Member
Llandudno,Wales,UK
Thanks everyone.

I don't hibernate (I don't belive in hibernating Pets if i can give them everything they need during the winter...You don't see Zoo's hibernating bears lol)

Yep they are both Definatly Male & Female.......I've seen the male flash....Scary lol and the female has a very short stubby tail and was sexed female :)

I have all the lights on timers to turn on & off when it starts to get light/dark outside.

Temps are 32oc & 25oc Humidity Varies as they are in my Bedroom.

Yep they are kept together all the time...I put them together in i think Feb?

And i don't think i'll be brave enough to remove his "friend" he'll go crazy lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Maybe the ornament is more attractive than the actual tortoise. No tortoise is a gentleman when it comes to mating.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
"Yep they are kept together all the time...I put them together in i think Feb?"

They were first put together in February? How long have you had both tortoises?

By removing the males object of attention, the "ornament" you would be diverting his attention to the female, which is what you are trying to achieve. By leaving the fake piece in there the male is going to continue to pay attention to it and not to the female.

It sounds to me like the female is not conditioned to breed right now.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Male-Hermann-Not-Interested-in-Female#ixzz1J1Y1gFNw

Herpard

5 Year Member
Llandudno,Wales,UK
I've had the Female since June 2010 and the Male since May 2007

I know that the Female is too Small/Young to be bred but was just wondering as to why my male isn't interested......now i know why lol

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
She may not be too small to breed, some Eastern females are very capable of producing offspring at 5". But the reason that he may not be interested in mating with her could be because she hasn't reached maturity and is not giving off "the vibes" yet. You may see a very distinct change in her and his attitude toward her when she reaches around 6"!

Again, that could even change by removing the "fake" female that is currently getting all of your males attention.

Leaving a mature male and a single female of any size together should also be done with caution. Male Hermann's are aggressive and persistant and may ram and nip at a female non-stop, especially one that is trying to avoid his advances. A female can become physically injured and highly stressed in this situation. Either a large expansive enclosure with lots of hiding places and visual barriers is recommended or they should be seperated except when placed together for breeding purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.