Male Hermanns needs new home

Colin the Campbell

Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa
Yea...

Tortoise keeping isnt cheap... if you don't have the money to buy one it may be best to wait until you can.
I still live at home with my parents, and have a good enough income to buy food and any supplies i need, its just the hurdle of the up front cost that i cant cover, thank you for your insight though! I really do appreciate it.

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
Tortoises are expensive animals to maintain. If you can't afford to purchase a tortoise you likely will be unable to maintain one. Importation is just the first step and getting through the hurdles to get a tortoise into Canada is not easy. I would suggest you look locally--there are often tortoises in shelters and even on sites like our Craigslist that are in need of adoption.
Ive been looking in shelters and on kijiji (our version of Craigslist) but there doesnt seem to be any for adoption. And as for the money aspect, i do have the money to pay for food and supplies, its just the hurdle of the up front cost that i cant get over. Thanks for your help though!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I still live at home with my parents, and have a good enough income to buy food and any supplies i need, its just the hurdle of the up front cost that i cant cover, thank you for your insight though! I really do appreciate it.
Upfront PROPER supplies can be just as much if not more than $600, just a heads up.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Ive been looking in shelters and on kijiji (our version of Craigslist) but there doesnt seem to be any for adoption. And as for the money aspect, i do have the money to pay for food and supplies, its just the hurdle of the up front cost that i cant get over. Thanks for your help though!
Be patient. You'll find one.

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
Be patient. You'll find one.
Thanks! I think ill do just that, if none of the people on this forum get back to me, or would you prefer if i just left this forum alone... I really would like to browse this forum on occasion, but if youd like me to leave i respect that.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I don't PERSONALLY think you need to leave, just do some research on what tortoise you want. You won't know what you need to get until you figure that out. Plus, a RES isn't a tortoise... its a water turtle. Completely different stuff.

Read up and then one day it'll happen. Good luck!

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
I don't PERSONALLY think you need to leave, just do some research on what tortoise you want. You won't know what you need to get until you figure that out. Plus, a RES isn't a tortoise... its a water turtle. Completely different stuff.

Read up and then one day it'll happen. Good luck!
Gunna be honest with you i didnt know what he meant by res, i know what a red eared slider is, but i saw he posted it on this forum, so i assumed it was a tortoise. I really should slow down, i know i either want a red foot, hermans, or russian. Thanks for all your help though.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thanks! I think ill do just that, if none of the people on this forum get back to me, or would you prefer if i just left this forum alone... I really would like to browse this forum on occasion, but if youd like me to leave i respect that.

People who succeed with reptile pets have, among other things, a great deal of patience.

Reptiles are sort of like Living Meditation Puzzles. Turtles and tortoises are really different. Each tortoise species is its own separate entity...tortoises are not a monolith. It is really important to research and choose carefully. What amount of space do you have to dedicate? Do you have the self control to hold back and not interact with a new animal, or even one that would rather not be at all social for its lifetime (40-100 years)?

If you research carefully enough, you will find that properly-bred and well-started animals themselves are not necessarily expensive. But the best breeders/suppliers/re-homers will want to know that you are ready and mature enough to go the distance.

Hang around. Meet people. Read. Participate. Wait. When the keeper is ready, the tortoise appears.

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
I plan to get most of the supplies used.
Stop looking for a turtle or tortoise until you have a proper setup. I work in rescue and we require documentation of a proper enclosure before we allow any to be adopted. We don’t charge bc we know how expensive it is to get the proper setup.
Like others have said, just slow your role and start the process of first deciding what YOU want to keep. Then work on getting the enclosure done and proper. Then, and only then, go looking for an animal.

Don’t leave the forum! Stay and learn as its one of if not the best place I’ve found.