Male Hermann's Tortoise in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I have a male Hermann's tortoise who I'm seriously considering putting up for adoption. I love him to death, but I feel like I don't have enough space to give him the quality of life that he deserves. He currently lives strictly indoors in a 50 gallon rubbermaid tank, with only occasional trips outside. I let him out to run around my room everyday, but I'm concerned that its not enough. Hes my first reptile, and although I researched before getting him, I never realized how much space he would need or how important outdoor time is for them. I feel like a terrible owner for even considering giving him up, and its heartbreaking but maybe it would be better for him. I dont know what to do. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are a lot of tortoises that don't live outside 24/7. I don't think you are a terrible person/owner for questioning what might be best for your tort. If you get him outside sometimes that's good. If you could get him outside all summer that would be great. You can build a cheap enclosure out of a kiddie pool. Put in dirt, some plants and a hide for shade and food, water dish and if you have predators to worry about, chicken wire for a top will work good. Then bring him/her in at night. If you feel you don't have time for him, then re home him and don't feel bad about it at all.

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
The kiddie pool option sounds like a really good idea. I do have enough time for him, I'm just concerned about space. Hes a lot more active than I had anticipated him to be, and I dont like having to keep him cooped up inside all day. I'd love to be able to leave him outdoors for a lot of the spring and summer - you think the kiddie pool with chicken wire is enough to keep him safe outside if I left him alone for a while? Or should I only let him out for a few hours a day and bring him inside whenever I can't be there to watch him? I've become very attached to my little guy, and I only want to rehome him if its really necessary to give him a high quality of life that he deserves.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Do not feel too bad! You are at least trying! That makes you better than many owners out there!

I like in MA as well and also have a male Hermann that lives mostly indoors. He's an adult, so he likes a LOT of room. Since I live in an apartment though, a permanent outdoor enclosure isn't possible.

Do you have room to build a larger enclosure? How old is your tort? If you don't have a lot of room, you could try making a double-decker enclosure. There are some threads about that on here. I myself have a 6'x 2' enclosure, with lots of plants to break up sight lines and make it seem bigger to him. I also change things up here and there (move a plant, add a plant) to make things more interesting for him (but not so much change that it stresses him out!).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hes an adult, but since I aquired him as an adult, I dont know how old he is. Is there any way to tell? Im currently a college student, so I only have a one room place. Im hoping to be able to afford to move into a bigger place this summer after I graduate. In the meantime, a second level might be possible though. Ill have to look at those threads and see if I would be able to make one that hed be safe in. A bigger enclosure would definitely be better because then hed be able to stay in there more rather than running around the room freely without exposure to his reptile lights. I want to make sure hes getting the basking and uv that he needs.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I just made my OWN enclosure that cost about $150. It is 4 foot by 2 foot and this would be the PERFECT size for an adult hermann's. Maybe you could make an enclosure like this. It doesn't mean your a bad owner at all. I have seen tortoise not go outside at all and thrive in there enclosure with NO problem. When I have time I bring my tortoises outside for about 30 mins to an hour then bring them right back in. They don't need to get outside everyday. So don't feel bad about that. I think either a kiddie pool OR make an enclosure like I said that he will do his BEST in.
Oh by the way I'm in Mass too. What part of Mass are you from???

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
You guys are making me feel like a much better owner than I thought I was being. :) I'll definitely try to expand his indoor enclosure for the fall and winter and then make him an outdoor pen that he can spend some time in after I move this summer. I'm originally from North Attleboro MA but I live in western MA now for college.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
How big is your Herman, length, width, height? Do you know his weight?

I'm from Massachusetts too and I only allow my guys out during the summer.

As long as he's eating well and is healthy your doing a great job. Do you have pictures?

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
fbsmith3 said:
How big is your Herman, length, width, height? Do you know his weight?

I'm from Massachusetts too and I only allow my guys out during the summer.

As long as he's eating well and is healthy your doing a great job. Do you have pictures?

Where in Mass are you???
Next summer I'm going to put together an enclosure outside for my 3 tortoises. So they are outside from April/May to August/Sept. :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Xabyr said:
You guys are making me feel like a much better owner than I thought I was being. :) I'll definitely try to expand his indoor enclosure for the fall and winter and then make him an outdoor pen that he can spend some time in after I move this summer. I'm originally from North Attleboro MA but I live in western MA now for college.

Are you going to Umass? That's where I went :) Were you planning on bringing him to college with you?

Xabyr said:

Are you going to Umass? That's where I went :) Were you planning on bringing him to college with you?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
For my box turtle (I think Hermann's are about the same size?) I took an old upright dresser and laid it on it's back. I added wheels to the bottom for mobility. I added a liner, substrate, etc. and it has worked out great to give my boxie more space. Ground space is about 10 square feet, so a lot more room than a 50 gallon Rubbermaid. Do you have any old furniture you could convert?

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
[/quote]

Where in Mass are you???
Next summer I'm going to put together an enclosure outside for my 3 tortoises. So they are outside from April/May to August/Sept. :)
[/quote]

I currently live in Worcester, MA. I used to live in Middleboro and Bridgewater. MA.

Summer were longer just a few miles south.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
ILoveTortoises2 said:
Oh cool I live in Mansfield, Ma. :)

I know it's under your name and it's under my name

:D

Will you be attending the New Hampshire and/or Massachusetts Reptile shows?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
There is a MA show? Ear perk!
I am about 45 min due south of Worcester in CT. NH is too far. But when/where is the MA reptile show?

Ann from CT

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
AnnV said:
There is a MA show? Ear perk!
I am about 45 min due south of Worcester in CT. NH is too far. But when/where is the MA reptile show?

Ann from CT

The Massachusetts Reptile Show is in Brockton, MA. I find driving to Manchester, NH much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.