Male leopard reoccurring prolapse. Help

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
If you need to amputate his penis which sounds like a possibility, if this is strictly a breeding animal, I would give him away to a good home and move on. If he isn't , then he would need to have his own enclosure strictly as a pet.

I learn so much from these posts. Thank you all for educating us. If the tortoise is neutered, would he act differently? Could he be housed with another male-- or even females? I'm asking just out of curiosity. Is it similar to spaying/neutering a mammal? Gonad removal and decreased testosterone?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Well the vet was not able to correct the prolapse. Cannot operate until Wednesday so will continue with soaks and sugar. If not corrected will schedule surgery.
Mort was my first tortoise, so while my breeding was kind of counting on him, he will always have a home here. I will figure that out for him.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If you need to amputate his penis which sounds like a possibility, if this is strictly a breeding animal, I would give him away to a good home and move on. If he isn't , then he would need to have his own enclosure strictly as a pet.
Thank you. This might be a dumb question, but would there be a difference in amputation or full neutering? Is that a procedure that can be done on a tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry this has happened. Hopefully it will go back in by Wednesday. However, if it does, it sounds like he should still not be used for breeding.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Behavior will not change, Only the affected part of his penis will be removed, so he could injure himself further. That is why he would need to be house by himself. No stimulation if alone. As far as neutering, not practical since the gonads are internal and you would have to do a plastronotomy to remove the gonads. .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Behavior will not change, Only the affected part of his penis will be removed, so he could injure himself further. That is why he would need to be house by himself. No stimulation if alone. As far as neutering, not practical since the gonads are internal and you would have to do a plastronotomy to remove the gonads. .
Thank you. That is what I suspected.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Mort had a phallectomy today. :( everything went ok. Hoping for an uneventful speedy recovery.