Male or female? 3yrs old!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is your tortoise? Inches and pounds? Looks very much like a female to me. If it is over 16 lbs / 16" it is definitely a female. (Females can flash their much smaller parts too!)
Yes Females can flash. But that's as much of a Male flash as my 100% male leopards.
By the first pic my guess was female until I seen the second pic and the flash. My guess is it didn't have a proper start in life and so slow to mature.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Wellington on this one, sorry Mark. That's a penis if I ever saw one.

Yes, the anal scutes and gular are showing female, but it might just be the tortoise isn't big enough yet to have changed from looking female to showing male characteristics.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I'm with Wellington on this one, sorry Mark. That's a penis if I ever saw one.

Yes, the anal scutes and gular are showing female, but it might just be the tortoise isn't big enough yet to have changed from looking female to showing male characteristics.
Agree, that's why it would be important to know the size.

Puerto Rico
How big is your tortoise? Inches and pounds? Looks very much like a female to me. If it is over 16 lbs / 16" it is definitely a female. (Females can flash their much smaller parts too!)
Agree, that's why it would be important to know the size.

Attachments

• 83708F3F-29EC-43C5-860C-77376BEB4996.jpeg
    83708F3F-29EC-43C5-860C-77376BEB4996.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 00B02DD7-34C8-415E-97A8-EB989FABBF8B.jpeg
    00B02DD7-34C8-415E-97A8-EB989FABBF8B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
15 inches. Is the plastron indented/concaved inward at all? Plastron is the bottom shell.
Have you raised him since it was hatched? At what age did you get him?
How has he been housed before joining TFO and since you joined?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
OK. This is interesting. That is a 16" sulcata. By all external characteristics this is female. Flat plastron. Outward supracaudal. No gular projection at all. Anals rounding and pointing inward. EXTREMELY small tail (look at picture flashing!

Absolutely looks female except for the flashing that looks a bit large for a female, but definitely very small for a male!

@Tom @zovick

Puerto Rico
Nope, since 3 months old, she or he was mostly outdoor since baby. They have an outdoor enclosure. I have 2 raised the same maybe a couple of months of difference they were just as the same size when they arrive but this one grew way bigger than the other!
15 inches. Is the plastron indented/concaved inward at all? Plastron is the bottom shell.
Have you raised him since it was hatched? At what age did you get him?
How has he been housed before joining TFO and since you join

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OK. This is interesting. That is a 16" sulcata. By all external characteristics this is female. Flat plastron. Outward supracaudal. No gular projection at all. Anals rounding and pointing inward. EXTREMELY small tail (look at picture flashing!

Absolutely looks female except for the flashing that looks a bit large for a female, but definitely very small for a male!

@Tom @zovick
I say raised too dry being outside since very small and slow to mature.
Small for a Male that's not an adult and insulting to the poor thing lmao

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

@Tom @zovick
The first pic had me leaning female due to the anal scute shape. I wouldn't expect to see gular development or plastron concavity in one this small. We really can't see the tail in the first pic though. The second pic is obviously a tortoise penis.