Male or Female, and should I adopt a second?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clemmys Mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello! I haven't posted in years, but check the forums often. The Humane Society I work for just received a stray Russian tortoise. Usually, I have no problem sexing Russians but for some reason, this little one is playing tricks on all of us. I'm leaning towards male since his tail is so thick, but the cloaca is round and not a slit, and it's also fairly close to the body. The tail also isn't as long as most other males I've seen, and it's not always tucked. Unfortunately, this is the only photo I have of him right now.

I have an approximately 16-year-old female at home who is the love of my life. I've been considering getting another Russian for about 3 years now, and this little one is tempting me. My girl has a large indoor enclosure with lots of hides and spots for digging and she also has an outdoor enclosure for the warmer months. I'm wondering if any of you have had experience introducing Russians and if you think they maybe enjoy having another one around. I've read a lot about males vs. females, enclosure size for multiples, etc. and I'd definitely quarantine a new tortoise and take him/her to the vet. I think I might be putting people thoughts on my tortoise, but I just feel bad having such a long-lived creature be by herself. How do you all feel about having multiples?

Attachments

• tortoise.jpg
    tortoise.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 64

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am gonna be honest I think sex could go either way but I am thinking female. Feel free to get another one as long as they have enough space.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Looks like a female to me. :D How big is it?

Danny

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I agree it looks like female to me too, it is a tough call though Russians are usually easy.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Agreed. It looks female to me, in which case, it should get along well with the female you already have, provided they have enough space. If it were me, I would take her home!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Boy did you stac the deck in favor of getting another, by asking us ;) of course we are all going to say if you have the room take her home, lol!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its female too. If your indoor and outside habitats are big enough to handle the two tortoises, I say, "Go for it!!"

Clemmys Mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Great! Thanks everyone :)

This little one is just under 5 inches.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just be prepared to separate them if need be. You still might ed up having to house them separately. I've seen female russians tear each other up too. Not usually as bad as the males, but they CAN be feisty.

Status
Not open for further replies.