Male or Female, Round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
Hello,

I posted pictures of my redfoot tortoise Lucy when she was 2.5 years old to see if she was male or female, the prevailing answer was female but now that she is 4, and has grown alot since then I have been having doubts -- I am by no means an expert, she is my first tortoise, but she seems in-between to me!! lol But if some of you more experienced tort owners could take a look at these pictures and help me settle my mind that would be great! :)

Also, I believe she is a Colombian redfoot with clown colouring? based on what i've read - so if anyone knows, male or female, about how large I can expect her to grow that would be awesome too :)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Female. Looks a lot like a Brazilian but I can't see her head so very hard to tell what country. Typically columbians had red legs with yellow or orange heads and a grayish brown cast on the carapace. Some redfoots tend to get the clowning known as marbling. My Trinidad's,Panamanian,brazilian,Paraguay, and Bolivians all marble or clown like yours. It's cool.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Female. Looks a lot like a Brazilian but I can't see her head so very hard to tell what country. Typically columbians had red legs with yellow or orange heads and a grayish brown cast on the carapace. Some redfoots tend to get the clowning known as marbling. My Trinidad's,Panamanian,brazilian,Paraguay, and Bolivians all marble or clown like yours. It's cool.

Here are some pictures where you can see her face :) partly so perhaps you can identify what country and partly because she is just so cute. hahah :tort:
cutie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Those are some beautiful head patterns and colors!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It's a Female - The Plastron looks nothing like a Cherryhead though - Typical northern Plastron.........

The term "Clown" was born to help sell Tortoises.......It is nothing more than a marketing term, created by a large Importer.......There are quite a few Colombians with red or blaze orange heads. Some keep it, others lose it, but it really isn't a distinction for anything.......

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yuppers ... ya gotta a lady" ...there! ;) a beaut' at that ...

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
Plastron is concave which is a sign for male, but the anal scute is round, tail is thick and short. Congrats on your beautiful female.

Status
Not open for further replies.