Male or female with pics.

Turborich

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Nevada
Hello folks, new to the site. I think they are both males, but want other opinions. I know the one is male for certain, just not 100% on the other. The one in question has a shorter tail. It's concaved on the bottom, but not quite as much as the other. I've asked him if he's a male, however he never replied! Lol. Please, no comments about how they will fight, not be happy, etc. I've got it covered and they are both super happy tortoises. Thanks!20180509_191610.jpg 20180509_191607.jpg 20180509_191551.jpg 20180509_191544.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello folks, new to the site. I think they are both males, but want other opinions. I know the one is male for certain, just not 100% on the other. The one in question has a shorter tail. It's concaved on the bottom, but not quite as much as the other. I've asked him if he's a male, however he never replied! Lol. Please, no comments about how they will fight, not be happy, etc. I've got it covered and they are both super happy tortoises. Thanks!View attachment 238595 View attachment 238596 View attachment 238597 View attachment 238598

Desert tortoises, right? They're pretty hard to differentiate until they get older. Both look male to me. The plastron will get a more pronounced indent as they age, but females are totally flat, and both of yours are indented a bit, so male. Also, females have a very small gular, and both those have a longer gular.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please, no comments about how they will fight, not be happy, etc. I've got it covered and they are both super happy tortoises. Thanks!

Forgive my skepticism, but how have you "got it covered"? Do they live separately?

Turborich

Southern Nevada
Desert tortoises, right? They're pretty hard to differentiate until they get older. Both look male to me. The plastron will get a more pronounced indent as they age, but females are totally flat, and both of yours are indented a bit, so male. Also, females have a very small gular, and both those have a longer gular.
Thank you for the reply :) I was pretty sure they were both male. They are such awesome creatures.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Correct. One has the entire back yard and the other has the entire front yard. Both fully fenced. Both have access to fresh mullberry leaves, grape vine leaves and lots of dandilions.
Sounds as if they'll have ldyllic lives in your yards. Enjoy!

Turborich

Southern Nevada
Sounds as if they'll have ldyllic lives in your yards. Enjoy!
Thank you! I try to make things very comfortable for them. I poured a 4 inch concrete barrier under my gate from the front to rear yard so they cant dig under and will stay separated. They both do their own thing and seem pretty happy to me. I did my research many years ago and even though I would love to have 2 in the back yard, I know that males may bother each other and perhaps fight. I also understand that a male will harass a female if in the same enclosure. I ended up with these two guys so 2 separate living areas it is :) I know they don't do a whole lot, but to me they are just AWESOME creatures!!!