1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Male or female with pics.

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by Turborich, May 15, 2018.

1. Turborich

Turborich New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Southern Nevada
    Hello folks, new to the site. I think they are both males, but want other opinions. I know the one is male for certain, just not 100% on the other. The one in question has a shorter tail. It's concaved on the bottom, but not quite as much as the other. I've asked him if he's a male, however he never replied! Lol. Please, no comments about how they will fight, not be happy, etc. I've got it covered and they are both super happy tortoises. Thanks! 20180509_191610.jpg 20180509_191607.jpg 20180509_191551.jpg 20180509_191544.jpg
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)

Desert tortoises, right? They're pretty hard to differentiate until they get older. Both look male to me. The plastron will get a more pronounced indent as they age, but females are totally flat, and both of yours are indented a bit, so male. Also, females have a very small gular, and both those have a longer gular.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    Forgive my skepticism, but how have you "got it covered"? Do they live separately?
    madbad likes this.
  4. Turborich

Turborich New Member

Southern Nevada
    Thank you for the reply :) I was pretty sure they were both male. They are such awesome creatures.
  5. Turborich

Turborich New Member

Southern Nevada
    Correct. One has the entire back yard and the other has the entire front yard. Both fully fenced. Both have access to fresh mullberry leaves, grape vine leaves and lots of dandilions.
    orv, madbad and Tom like this.
  6. orv

orv Well-Known Member

Aguanga, CA
    Sounds as if they'll have ldyllic lives in your yards. Enjoy!
  7. Turborich

Turborich New Member

Southern Nevada
    Thank you! I try to make things very comfortable for them. I poured a 4 inch concrete barrier under my gate from the front to rear yard so they cant dig under and will stay separated. They both do their own thing and seem pretty happy to me. I did my research many years ago and even though I would love to have 2 in the back yard, I know that males may bother each other and perhaps fight. I also understand that a male will harass a female if in the same enclosure. I ended up with these two guys so 2 separate living areas it is :) I know they don't do a whole lot, but to me they are just AWESOME creatures!!!
    orv and katieandiggy like this.