male or female?

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Hi guys my family and I are trying to decide about our new baby. We are only getting one :) we came up with a name Charlie . But we were wondering what you guys think..male or female? Eastern or Dalmatian ? I understand that people have different opinions just wondering what you think. We understand that ultimately this will be a decision between us and the breeder and we know that the sex is not 100% :) . We are so excited and ready. Thanks guys. :rolleyes:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
To me male or female doesn't matter . Healthy and happy is what matters to me . As for the species thats going to be all you . Get the one that you like . He or she will be with the rest of your life .

Heather H

N.E. ohio
To me male or female doesn't matter . Healthy and happy is what matters to me . As for the species thats going to be all you . Get the one that you like . He or she will be with the rest of your life .
I know it will be healthy because I was very careful of the breeder I'm working with :) maybe I should let him surprise me :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sounds like you got a plan . I would pick one . The Dalmatian are pretty .

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don't know if this applies to a
Hi guys my family and I are trying to decide about our new baby. We are only getting one :) we came up with a name Charlie . But we were wondering what you guys think..male or female? Eastern or Dalmatian ? I understand that people have different opinions just wondering what you think. We understand that ultimately this will be a decision between us and the breeder and we know that the sex is not 100% :) . We are so excited and ready. Thanks guys. :rolleyes:
l don't know if this applies to all species, but in redfoots males are more active than females.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know how old that species has to be before you can tell male from female. So if you were getting a little baby one don't worry about the sex, just get one that you like. you can ask the breeder if there's any real differences between the male and female as far as behaviors and personalities etc.but otherwise I really don't think it matters.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I don't know how old that species has to be before you can tell male from female. So if you were getting a little baby one don't worry about the sex, just get one that you like. you can ask the breeder if there's any real differences between the male and female as far as behaviors and personalities etc.but otherwise I really don't think it matters.
The breeder has them temperature sexed I know that's not 100% I will talk to him. He's a great guy and I know he will give me a great new family member. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Males will flash....So you'll have to deal with the winkie at some point..

Females will lay eggs so prepared laying grounds, increased calcium supplements and egg bound issues are all things you could have to deal with. Even if she's never with a male...

Just 2 very different points to consider.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Males will flash....So you'll have to deal with the winkie at some point..

Females will lay eggs so prepared laying grounds, increased calcium supplements and egg bound issues are all things you could have to deal with. Even if she's never with a male...

Just 2 very different points to consider.
I have read on here somewhere that females will not lay eggs unless they have been with a mail. And they will not lay eggs unless a mail is around. Is this true? I am pretty sure my tortoise is a female and I have had her for three years or so and she has never laid eggs. She has been x-rayed twice and does not have eggs as of about one year ago. but I am worried about her becoming a good belt.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have read on here somewhere that females will not lay eggs unless they have been with a mail. And they will not lay eggs unless a mail is around. Is this true? I am pretty sure my tortoise is a female and I have had her for three years or so and she has never laid eggs. She has been x-rayed twice and does not have eggs as of about one year ago. but I am worried about her becoming a good belt.
You may have read this on one of my threads. I asked this question because I have a friend that has 2 female yellowfoots laying eggs that she had for 8 years and never been near another tort. These yellowfoots were at a guess 15 to 20 yrs old.
The answer I got was off a well respected expert on here and was.

Once a female has been with a male it starts the egg cycle. Upto 4 yrs after they can be fertile and there on infertile. Some breeds are capable
of sopping the cycle for example the Aldabra.
If this is true and yours has never been near a mature male you should never have the egg bound problem.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I do not have any experience with adult female tortoises...
however, multiple well respected members have said that a female CAN lay infertile eggs without ever seeing a male or another tortoise.

For example, @tortadise did I misunderstand you?.. or haven't I read you saying that it CAN happen.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My tortoise was almost definitely wild caught, so I'm sure she was near a mail tortoise in the shipping process if nothing else. I really don't know much about her at all. What are the signs of being eggbound?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I do not have any experience with adult female tortoises...
however, multiple well respected members have said that a female CAN lay infertile eggs without ever seeing a male or another tortoise.

For example, @tortadise did I misunderstand you?.. or haven't I read you saying that it CAN happen.

No male is required for a female tortoise to begin laying eggs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

In general Eastern are more outgoing and personable than dalmatians and in general males are more bold and outgoing than females. In this species females get larger than males. There are always exceptions, but this should help you choose.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
In general Eastern are more outgoing and personable than dalmatians and in general males are more bold and outgoing than females. In this species females get larger than males. There are always exceptions, but this should help you choose.
So a male eastern would be more likely more outgoing? Right thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So a male eastern would be more likely more outgoing? Right thanks

Generally yes, but there are shy males and bold females, or shy Easterns and bold dalmatians too. When starting with a hatchling sight unseen, it is guess work. I prefer to handpick my own out of a tub of babies, but that is a rare opportunity indeed.