Male or female ?

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, California
I might need to have some tips on using this forum. Why? Because I can't find information regarding if my Marginated Tortoise is male or female. Also seeking my soon to be 4yr.old Marginate Tortoise ,what other names of this breed is used. ex. Russian or?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Can you post pictures of your tortoise? Particularly the rear end area where the tail is. Top and bottom photos. If it's large enough then we can see what gender it is.

I'm not sure what you're asking about other names. The Marginated tortoise is in the classification of "Mediterranean" species, which also includes the Russian, Greek, Hermann's, and Egyptian.

The scientific name of the Marginated tortoise is Testudo marginata.

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
Can you post pictures of your tortoise? Particularly the rear end area where the tail is. Top and bottom photos. If it's large enough then we can see what gender it is.

I'm not sure what you're asking about other names. The Marginated tortoise is in the classification of "Mediterranean" species, which also includes the Russian, Greek, Hermann's, and Egyptian.

Here is a photo of King Arthur upside down, boy or girl ? 1559517805958.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need to be able to see the tail, and 4 years old may be too young to tell.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
The males have a very long tail towards a female. The males underneath are also concaved some as well.

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California

Here are some more pics.20190606_142436.jpeg20190606_142432.jpeg20190606_142445.jpeg20190606_142116.jpeg20190606_142408.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks very healthy to me.

I have zero experience with marginated tortoises, but that tail looks female to me. The last picture seems to show some plastron concavity, and that would indicate male, but its hard to tell in a 2D pic.

Lets ask someone who knows the species well: @tglazie Hopefully he'll see this bat signal and chime in. I don't think he is on the forum all that much anymore, but I wish he was.

@HermanniChris would also know.

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
Looks very healthy to me.

I have zero experience with marginated tortoises, but that tail looks female to me. Lets ask someone who knows the species well: @tglazie

Hopefully he'll see this bat signal and chime in. I don't think he is on the forum all that much anymore, but I wish he was.
Thank you for responding

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty short tail (female), however, the cloaca opening is a slit (male). So maybe the tortoise is just still too young to know for sure. But, Dang! that sure is a pretty tortoise!!!

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
That's a pretty short tail (female), however, the cloaca opening is a slit (male). So maybe the tortoise is just still too young to know for sure. But, Dang! that sure is a pretty tortoise!!!
Oh.. Wow, Thank you so much. I'd like to to post some pics of a new to her/him indoor table to get some advice, but on good weather days outside all day, I'm retired and have lots of time to move King Arthur about the yard, it's funny we have a good size yard and when I water the plants ive collected on the side of house , I open side gate put king Arthur on the back lawn (out his back yard encloser) and he followed me the hose? Down the trail to the front patio also gated. Fun pet.