Male or Female?

Gingersherwood1968

Location (City and/or State)
Halifaxp
Hi to everyone. I have 2 x 8 year old redfoots. One girl. One boy he is much bigger than her and can been seen quite often mounting her. But today in my femail milly I saw like a little brown / grey sack protrude from her backend going in & out. What is this please.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see no photos.
Be warned that keeping two together can eventually kill the less aggressive tortoise.
Constant mating attempts will stress the female to illness.
You could also have two males and the more dominant one is mounting the submissive one.
Bullying is also very likely why one is much larger than the other at the same age.
At any rate, they need to be separated now that at least one of them is sexually mature.
Keeping pairs together is just a very bad idea.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you post some pictures of their undersides? This will help us determine the sex of the larger one anyway.
And I am afraid you have been told the truth. It's a bad idea to keep them in pairs, one or both will be stressed leading to possible injury and eventual or sudden death. Sad but true.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No photos and its Male or Female.
Mail is what the post office delivers.
English language has too many words that sound the same but mean different. It's crazy I know.

Post pictures of the tail area from the bottom of both and we can confirm sex. Females will even try to mount sometimes

Gingersherwood1968

Halifaxp
No photos and its Male or Female.
Mail is what the post office delivers.
English language has too many words that sound the same but mean different. It's crazy I know.

Post pictures of the tail area from the bottom of both and we can confirm sex. Females will even try to mount sometimes
Hi. She is definitely a girl she has the short stubby tail his is a lot longer. His belly is concave. Hers is more rounder and flat. I will try send a picture of the little blob that pops out the bottom of her tail. I'm thinking is she on heat ?

20200303_171557.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi. She is definitely a girl she has the short stubby tail his is a lot longer. His belly is concave. Hers is more rounder and flat. I will try send a picture of the little blob that pops out the bottom of her tail. I'm thinking is she on heat ?

View attachment 287525
It's hard to tell from such a close picture. I can't get the perspective of where the tail is, where the back of the shell is, but I'm thinking you have two males. It's common for less dominant males' male characteristics to not develop when in the presence of a more dominant male. I think what you're seeing is the penis.

If I'm wrong and this IS a female, then she has a prolapsed organ problem. Prolapse is caused by the tortoise straining too much. . . egg bound, constipated, worms, stones, etc. If it IS prolapse and not a penis, then be careful to not allow it to dry out. If it is an organ (not a penis) and it dries out, it then dies and has to be amputated.

Gingersherwood1968

Halifaxp
It's hard to tell from such a close picture. I can't get the perspective of where the tail is, where the back of the shell is, but I'm thinking you have two males. It's common for less dominant males' male characteristics to not develop when in the presence of a more dominant male. I think what you're seeing is the penis.

If I'm wrong and this IS a female, then she has a prolapsed organ problem. Prolapse is caused by the tortoise straining too much. . . egg bound, constipated, worms, stones, etc. If it IS prolapse and not a penis, then be careful to not allow it to dry out. If it is an organ (not a penis) and it dries out, it then dies and has to be amputated.
Hi. I will try get a clearer picture I I did read males have a concave shape to the under shell like he has. And hers is flat and more rounded just like she has so I'm even more confused now and her tail is a lot shorter than his and more of a stump. I will keep my eye on this little blob thing I haven't seen it to day. I will try send a few pics tomorrow . Pictures of play time in the pool and this is me with milly my smaller redfoot she loves a good fuss

Attachments

• 20200202_211919.jpg
    20200202_211919.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Gingersherwood1968

Halifaxp
Hi. I will try get a clearer picture I I did read males have a concave shape to the under shell like he has. And hers is flat and more rounded just like she has so I'm even more confused now and her tail is a lot shorter than his and more of a stump. I will keep my eye on this little blob thing I haven't seen it to day. I will try send a few pics tomorrow . Pictures of play time in the pool and this is me with milly my smaller redfoot she loves a good fuss

Attachments

• 20200209_154903.jpg
    20200209_154903.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tortoises are very dry looking. Redfoot need a high humidity. How do you house them and what is the temps and humidity? Tortoises should never be housed in pairs. You either have 2 males or one of each. Either way they should be housed seperate.

Gingersherwood1968

Halifaxp
Your tortoises are very dry looking. Redfoot need a high humidity. How do you house them and what is the temps and humidity? Tortoises should never be housed in pairs. You either have 2 males or one of each. Either way they should be housed seperate.
Hi yes you are write I rescued this pair from a couple that no longer had the time or patience to care for them. When I eventually met them I could have cried. To actually see this pair were living in poor conditions in a 20 x 20 inch small wood rabit hut. Stood on a cold kitchen floor never had any bedding covered in there own urine and poo. I could have cried. I immediately took them under my wing knowing nothing about looking after redfoot tortoise I just wanted to get them out that environment ASAP. The fact because I took them I had no alternative but to keep them in the same enclosure they came for a week or so. I did introduce forest wood flooring. That they have never experienced. With a heat lamp. I ordered a vivarium 20 inch x 4 foot. Better than what they was brought up in. . When I got them home I bathed them for the first time ever to soften the poo that had stuck to there under shells. And this took a lot of time to do. I can now see there red spots and there both lovely and clean. I put them in there new viv that I know is most certainly not big enough for them but I wos pushed to get them better than what they had. I have forest bark flooring that is pilled high. I have noticed they loved it and watched them burry down into it. Something they have never had. I bought 2 x temp controls that hang in the viv. The heat lamp I changed to a ceramic heater. And that gives me readings of both tem and humidity. Temp around 30.35 degrees. Hum about 70 75 but that is with constantly spraying water. The other cooler end about 20. 25 degrees humidity 50. Luckily I work from home home and I'm able to spray and keep temps up but finding it hard work. My viv does has a large wire grid on the top that I can change temperature at just by moving the lid. My torts seem happy both nearly 8 years old as I wos told mail & femail. But have been together since 5 month old. And never parted. They do actually get on like Husband and wife. If I take on out of the viv it's clear to see the other is very stressed when one is taken out. Which I do find rather endearing dispite people saying they shouldn't be together. Well I'm afraid it to late for this pair there like jingle & jang. It would be cruel to separate them now after 8 years of being together I will never do this. My viv is also know is far to small for them. But there happy cosy comfortable and have a good diet that I'm slowly introducing to them we are in the process of building a large enclosure for them both to be able to roam till hearts content. I'm still learning never thought in a million years I would be the proud owner of 2 x large red foot tortoise. This pair have bad piromiding to there shells during to them being poorly looked after and never seen or felt and humidity or even ever been bathed. Well since I have had them I bathe them every other day for 25 mins. Keep there humidity up to 70. 75. Bring them out for 1 hour every night for play time exercise and a little treat. And they seem to really like there new life style as for now but I do have still have a lot to learn and building new enclosure being top know my list with a large automatic warm heater mister so I'm not having to mist constantly. Since I got my torts they seem much happier and there actual Ted spots seem to be glowing as I couldn't see ther markings when I first got them now I can. I am never going to be able to reverse the pyramiding. That has been coused but they are still beautiful and I will continue to bathe them and provide them with the best. These torts have had it so tuff and been neglected its shamefull and I hope to turn this around. With all your help

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, poor things, that explains a lot. Glad you got them. I'm sure they are very glad too.

Gingersherwood1968

Halifaxp
Wow, poor things, that explains a lot. Glad you got them. I'm sure they are very glad too.
They most certainly will be looked after and I aim to give them the best poor beggars certainly deserve it after the life they have for eight years the poor things I couldn't get them away quick enough I I am totally surprised they are as happy as they are after years of total neglect. They both appear so loving because they have a window in this viv. As soon as I walk in the room and they hear my voice they bath actually run to the window to get my attention. It's so lovely I will take each one out in front of the other so they can see for a quick cuddle and as daft as that sounds they absolutely seem to love it. Even when I put them in the pool on an evening. They come looking for me and will run towards me. This is what makes me think they are happy. They seem to like being handled dispite the poor crap life they have endured. But I really do need to sort a massive viv for them. No dought I will be posting more questions. But I do think I'm doing ok so far thanks to this forum.