Male? or female?

PattyL

Location (City and/or State)
WI
Oh np! If you need any help or input feel free to PM me or any one of us that have these and we can help even more if needed ? its super easy once you know what all you need. I looked on amazon and the 3x6 was $95-$105 with prime. No need to do the expensive spider farm brand or anything like that. Just make sure the window is clear and not the green window lol.

And thank you! His species is a giant south african leopard tortoise or pardalis pardalis ? im kind of in love with him ?
awesome!!!! could you share an Amazon link for this "tent" thanks! :)

Myakoda

AZ.
Sure thing!

I love my grow tents ? they work very well for very inexpensive. This one is for my leopard tortoise so it woould be good for your sulcata as well ? there are my lights and heating elements so you can kind of see what I did. My temps and humidity stay right where I want them. Ambient is 86°, basking is 97°-100°, humidity stays around 95%, and at night its about 82.
All it takes are a few easy tweeks and your good to go ? these tents usually come with cross bars for hanging grow lights, and i use them pretty much the same way.

View attachment 301105 View attachment 301104

And here is a pic with the bars so you can see better what I meant since I'm not always good with explaining lol. This one is my redfoots enclosure, but i use CHE's in there currently so its the best one to show you with. My leopard has a rhp and that takes more tweeks. All easy though.
View attachment 301109

The guy in the amazon link has goggles because the main reason these tents are used is for indoor Marijuana growing lol. The lights required to produce the right harvest are very bright and have a strong pink glow to them usually and it can be very difficult to see well when in that kind of bright environment messing with plants lol. The lights needed for that come separate so no worries for you there ?

No issues with toxicity either. Lots of people have used these for all kinds of reptiles with great results! I've seen them used for tegus, other monitors, etc ? for what we want we just have to put plastic liners in due to the humidity level we need for our babies. My baby had a respiratory infection BEFORE I put him in there and this fixed it perfectly and now he's a healthy, smooth growing baby ?

View attachment 301111

I have the 4x2 for my baby leopard, but you would need one like my redfoots which is 3ft x 6ft. On the menu it'll say like 36x36x72.
Good news, we ordered the grow tent earlier this week. The largest one they had. So we're just waiting to get it, and get her in it fast. Out of that tank, that we've tried EVERYTHING to keep her as humid as possible. It just didn't cut it! :( I so wish we knew about those sooner. She was smooth until her recent growth spurt, this is something I dreaded happening to her. However, in this tent hopefully, we can get her to a better place, and it won't get worse, perhaps smooth what little pyramiding she has out. I've been so sad since I realized she has a little bit of it. I will have a lot of questions on the lighting, and stuff like that. My husband and I know we'll need to get all new lights. We don't want hanging lights. We want everything up and away from her. Her room is warm, maybe in Winter we can change it up. I'm nervous about her health due to this new issue. She's happy, eats a lot, has clear urine, big poops, and gets long soaks everyday. Thank you everyone, who has responded to my post. I am still a bit confused how the Tent holds in humidity, I get the concept, however not the whole deal. Also, Tom or Srmcclure since her room is very warm, we're not using basking lights at all, just her UV, will the tent have it's own heat, and will we need to use lights in there again, since it's closed? Also how many inches deep should her substrate be? I'm trying to find more Orchid bark again, if not we'll need to use the coco stuff. Are Spider plants safe, also I'm ordering organic seed, to grow the much needed greass she needs in the tent. Right now we buy her organic animal grass and mix it in with her foods. Also wheat grass. She refuses any store bought Tortoise food, she won't touch it. Like she'll starve before she does. I wish she would eat it Ugh. Also I'm wondering about these plastic liners? Are they made for animals, no toxic stuff in them that omits from the heat and humidity? That freaks me out, I'm so worried about anything toxic. I worry so much about her. Sweet little baby! Thank you guys. :) A new photo of Mya. <3

Attachments

• 96081113_3163081350584097_2836232459081744384_n.jpg
    96081113_3163081350584097_2836232459081744384_n.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Good news, we ordered the grow tent earlier this week. The largest one they had. So we're just waiting to get it, and get her in it fast. Out of that tank, that we've tried EVERYTHING to keep her as humid as possible. It just didn't cut it! :( I so wish we knew about those sooner. She was smooth until her recent growth spurt, this is something I dreaded happening to her. However, in this tent hopefully, we can get her to a better place, and it won't get worse, perhaps smooth what little pyramiding she has out. I've been so sad since I realized she has a little bit of it. I will have a lot of questions on the lighting, and stuff like that. My husband and I know we'll need to get all new lights. We don't want hanging lights. We want everything up and away from her. Her room is warm, maybe in Winter we can change it up. I'm nervous about her health due to this new issue. She's happy, eats a lot, has clear urine, big poops, and gets long soaks everyday. Thank you everyone, who has responded to my post. I am still a bit confused how the Tent holds in humidity, I get the concept, however not the whole deal. Also, Tom or Srmcclure since her room is very warm, we're not using basking lights at all, just her UV, will the tent have it's own heat, and will we need to use lights in there again, since it's closed? Also how many inches deep should her substrate be? I'm trying to find more Orchid bark again, if not we'll need to use the coco stuff. Are Spider plants safe, also I'm ordering organic seed, to grow the much needed greass she needs in the tent. Right now we buy her organic animal grass and mix it in with her foods. Also wheat grass. She refuses any store bought Tortoise food, she won't touch it. Like she'll starve before she does. I wish she would eat it Ugh. Also I'm wondering about these plastic liners? Are they made for animals, no toxic stuff in them that omits from the heat and humidity? That freaks me out, I'm so worried about anything toxic. I worry so much about her. Sweet little baby! Thank you guys. :) A new photo of Mya. <3

In the tent, you will need a basking light and heat source. If you post a link to the enclosure you purchased i could help more accurately ?

Myakoda

AZ.
Sure thing!

I love my grow tents ? they work very well for very inexpensive. This one is for my leopard tortoise so it woould be good for your sulcata as well ? there are my lights and heating elements so you can kind of see what I did. My temps and humidity stay right where I want them. Ambient is 86°, basking is 97°-100°, humidity stays around 95%, and at night its about 82.
All it takes are a few easy tweeks and your good to go ? these tents usually come with cross bars for hanging grow lights, and i use them pretty much the same way.

View attachment 301105 View attachment 301104

And here is a pic with the bars so you can see better what I meant since I'm not always good with explaining lol. This one is my redfoots enclosure, but i use CHE's in there currently so its the best one to show you with. My leopard has a rhp and that takes more tweeks. All easy though.
View attachment 301109

The guy in the amazon link has goggles because the main reason these tents are used is for indoor Marijuana growing lol. The lights required to produce the right harvest are very bright and have a strong pink glow to them usually and it can be very difficult to see well when in that kind of bright environment messing with plants lol. The lights needed for that come separate so no worries for you there ?

No issues with toxicity either. Lots of people have used these for all kinds of reptiles with great results! I've seen them used for tegus, other monitors, etc ? for what we want we just have to put plastic liners in due to the humidity level we need for our babies. My baby had a respiratory infection BEFORE I put him in there and this fixed it perfectly and now he's a healthy, smooth growing baby ?

View attachment 301111

I have the 4x2 for my baby leopard, but you would need one like my redfoots which is 3ft x 6ft. On the menu it'll say like 36x36x72.
In the tent, you will need a basking light and heat source. If you post a link to the enclosure you purchased i could help more accurately ?
Hi, ok. My husband ordered it. However I'll get the info. Thank you. :)

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
a late reply but we have one we took in that was even a bit worse that this as far as pyramiding goes. a year later its VERY much more minimal while it will prob never fully go away totally its MUCH flatter then it was. do as everyone is telling you and you will see results but be patient it doesnt happen quickly. as they grow the new growth will help flatten it all out.

Myakoda

AZ.
a late reply but we have one we took in that was even a bit worse that this as far as pyramiding goes. a year later its VERY much more minimal while it will prob never fully go away totally its MUCH flatter then it was. do as everyone is telling you and you will see results but be patient it doesnt happen quickly. as they grow the new growth will help flatten it all out.
I get a lot of replies on here. Are you referring to Myakoda?

Myakoda

AZ.
Hi well we have the grow tent now, we're not sure if we just set it up, put orchid bark, her hide, and rocks and her water in, lights, no lights etc.. and let her go in there, I have so many questions, like a plasic liner you mentioned Srmcclure, is that something that has to be in there? What kind, where do you get it? Also, do we keep this tent completely zipped up, how does she get oxygen, her room is a very warm room, 90 to 100. We're not even using any lights except her UVB right now. She's been getting sun as of latley. We soak Myakoda out in the sun, a half an hour is the longest. She loves it. She has shade if she needs it. Anyway, perhaps I sound dense when it comes to this tent. Because I'm not educated in how this goes. We need to get her in it ASAP, she needs more humidity. So I'm thinking of putting her in now without lights except her UVB, and wet the substrate down until we have more knowledge about this. However, not sure Anyone who see's this please if you know about the tents, I need help. Thank you. Very worried Tortoise Mommy. Help!! :(

Last edited:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hi well we have the grow tent now, we're not sure if we just set it up, put orchid bark, her hide, and rocks and her water in, lights, no lights etc.. and let her go in there, I have so many questions, like a plasic liner you mentioned Srmcclure, is that something that has to be in there? What kind, where do you get it? Also, do we keep this tent completely zipped up, how does she get oxygen, her room is a very warm room, 90 to 100. We're not even using any lights except her UVB right now. She's been getting sun as of latley. We soak Myakoda out in the sun, a half an hour is the longest. She loves it. She has shade if she needs it. Anyway, perhaps I sound dense when it comes to this tent. Because I'm not educated in how this goes. We need to get her in it ASAP, she needs more humidity. So I'm thinking of putting her in now without lights except her UVB, and wet the substrate down until we have more knowledge about this. However, not sure Anyone who see's this please if you know about the tents, I need help. Thank you. Very worried Tortoise Mommy. Help!! :(
The room she's in is 90°?
I put a tarp down and tape it all around with gorilla tape after I make sure there is slack for the substrate. It helps the tent last longer so the bars aren't rusting out so quickly. I just get a cheap tarp from the hardware store. I either get one that is close to the right size with atleast a foot extra on both sides, or I get a roll of like painting tarp and cut it to be what I want. You want a tarp outside too incase moisture gets between the tent and liner inside. Thats why I usually buy the roll.
And close it up all the way. I tape all the port holes up except the one my cords come out of, then I tighten both the draw strings as tight as I can around the cords so no chimney effect.
Your baby will get plenty of air when you open the tent door and feed, soak, water, etc. And of course when you peek in on them, bacause let's face it, most of us like to just say hi lol.
You might find that you may have to move the tent into a cooler room once you get all equipment... 90° - 100° might be a little much for an all around. The basking light should be around 100, not the whole enclosure...

Myakoda

AZ.
The room she's in is 90°?
I put a tarp down and tape it all around with gorilla tape after I make sure there is slack for the substrate. It helps the tent last longer so the bars aren't rusting out so quickly. I just get a cheap tarp from the hardware store. I either get one that is close to the right size with atleast a foot extra on both sides, or I get a roll of like painting tarp and cut it to be what I want. You want a tarp outside too incase moisture gets between the tent and liner inside. Thats why I usually buy the roll.
And close it up all the way. I tape all the port holes up except the one my cords come out of, then I tighten both the draw strings as tight as I can around the cords so no chimney effect.
Your baby will get plenty of air when you open the tent door and feed, soak, water, etc. And of course when you peek in on them, bacause let's face it, most of us like to just say hi lol.
You might find that you may have to move the tent into a cooler room once you get all equipment... 90° - 100° might be a little much for an all around. The basking light should be around 100, not the whole enclosure...
A tarp inside? I thought you said plastic inside above a few weeks ago lol? So a tarp inside or under the tent? Ya it's to warm in her room right now for lights, except UVB. She gets her sunning in a few times a week as well.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
A tarp inside? I thought you said plastic inside above a few weeks ago lol? So a tarp inside or under the tent? Ya it's to warm in her room right now for lights, except UVB. She gets her sunning in a few times a week as well.
I do one inside and one outside.
outside:20200814_070556.jpg
Inside:
20200814_070612.jpg

Nelocin

Florida
I do one inside and one outside.
outside:View attachment 303766
Inside:
View attachment 303767
Yaaaass... Hi, hello again. In my thread about pyramiding .... I linked a green grow house that I already bought for an outside enclosure which arrives tmrw. Guess what? It's going straight back to the store because I'm going to invest in a grow tent instead for my guy. I have my eye on one already. ?? cause I'm not taking chances with his health and growth.

I am having the hardest time finding a decent uvb strip light. The Arcadia kit link you gave me is out of stock. :(

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yaaaass... Hi, hello again. In my thread about pyramiding .... I linked a green grow house that I already bought for an outside enclosure which arrives tmrw. Guess what? It's going straight back to the store because I'm going to invest in a grow tent instead for my guy. I have my eye on one already. ?? cause I'm not taking chances with his health and growth.

I am having the hardest time finding a decent uvb strip light. The Arcadia kit link you gave me is out of stock. :(
Oh thats lame!!! Zoo med has HO lights too you can look at ? if you go for it, just keep in mind you don't want it to high when on its side. Thats a lot of space to heat if you do lol. 2 to 3 feet tall seems to work really well for all this.

Looks nice, :) what material is the tarp made of. So no plastic then?
I'm not really sure exactly. I just Googled painters tarp roll and found a whole bunch of cheap options. The blue one is just something I already had a few of and it fit already, so win win lol.
People use pond liner too for the inside and outside ?
In my first tent that was 2x4 ft i used a thick waterproof shower curtain for the inside liner that i got for Christmas and hadn't used yet ??

Nelocin

Florida
Oh thats lame!!! Zoo med has HO lights too you can look at ? if you go for it, just keep in mind you don't want it to high when on its side. Thats a lot of space to heat if you do lol. 2 to 3 feet tall seems to work really well for all this.

I'm not really sure exactly. I just Googled painters tarp roll and found a whole bunch of cheap options. The blue one is just something I already had a few of and it fit already, so win win lol.
In my first tent that was 2x4 ft i used a thick waterproof shower curtain for the inside liner that i got for Christmas and hadn't used yet ??
For sure, it's 2x 4x 2 ft tall. And thanks mucho for the tarp/tape idea sharing. ?
Good luck on your setup @Myakoda ?

Myakoda

AZ.

Oh ok, so there needs to be a liner of some kind inside? Also under it too?

Myakoda

AZ.
For sure, it's 2x 4x 2 ft tall. And thanks mucho for the tarp/tape idea sharing. ?
Good luck on your setup @Myakoda ?
Thanks I need it. I have no clue why I'm all stupid on this grow tent. I can do trig, but not set up a grow tent without all the anxiety! :rolleyes:? My main concern is the toxic levels of any plasic, especially when heated.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Oh ok, so there needs to be a liner of some kind inside? Also under it too?
I like doing both for peace of mind. The inside one keeps the sewed seams from soaking up water and making the outside of the tent wet. The outside one is there in case you missed some and the moisture is seeping through. I tape mine with gorilla water resistant tape all the way around inside so it doesnt let water go under the tarp and sit, then get the seems wet. With the tape I haven't had any issues, its just to make me feel better. Especially since the tarps are so cheap.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thanks I need it. I have no clue why I'm all stupid on this grow tent. I can do trig, but not set up a grow tent without all the anxiety! :rolleyes:? My main concern is the toxic levels of any plasic, especially when heated.
And don't worry! I have set up 4 of these now so you can learn from my trial and error ?