male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Arizona
So I was wondering if Dozer is a male or female. I've been thinking male because of the slight indention on the plastron but the tail is short so I'm confused. If anyone can tell me what they think that would be appreciated. I might be picking up another red foot on Friday. Can I compare Dozer and the other red foot side by side and tell if they are different genders if the other one is slightly smaller (maybe an inch smaller)?

Attachments

• IMG_20101030_193641.jpg
    IMG_20101030_193641.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 42

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
That's a tough one. My first instinct is female, but then again it's still too young to know for sure.

-Matt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Doncha' just hate it when you get one of each opinion? I'm going with male. Sorry...

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Need better pictures for sure. Some from above, behind, and I can't tell if the tale is curving up towards the camera to make it appear smaller.

-Matt

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am going to say that this is a female based on the photo, but possibly beginning to show male characteristics.

My reasoning is:
- Short stubby-looking tail.
- Anal scutes angle is pretty much 90 degrees, although it is a bit wide- maybe developing into male characteristics.
- Anal scute gap between the points and marginals- close together, although a bit widish- again, maybe developing into male characteristics.
- Shell shape- There MAY BE a hint of incurving in the plastron, a male characteristic, but there does not seem to be any wasp-waisting, another male characteristic.

Side to side? I would guess it won't help a lot if the other one is even smaller. I think when Dozer adds a few more months, its gender will be more obvious. But- it would be worth a good photo!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's looking like a female to me. :)

Danny

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Ok so here's some more pics of dozer hopefully they are better. Also my friend went ahead and let me have the other red foot so I'm going to post pics of the new one and see what ya'll think it is female or male. I know it's small so might not be able to tell. If Dozer is a female I'll need to change the name lol and I'm still thinking for a name for the new one.

Dozer:

dozer3.jpg

dozer.jpg

dozer1.jpg

And the new one:

newtort2.jpg

newtort3.jpg

newtort1.jpg

newtort.jpg

And the two together (on the left Dozer and the right the new one):

IMG_0104.jpg

Status