Male or Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortesRme

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Is this a male or female??? What is he/she worth??? "It" is 14 yrs old and approximately 12-14 inches in length and approximately 10 inches across. Is it a dwarf cherryhead, cherry cross, red foot???

Turtle1.jpg P1010196.jpg
TortesRme said:
Is this a male or female??? What is he/she worth??? "It" is 14 yrs old and approximately 12-14 inches in length and approximately 10 inches across. Is it a dwarf cherryhead, cherry cross, red foot???

Last edited by a moderator:

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
FEMALE.. that size male would hold a quart of water in his plastron.. laying on his back. That almost looks like a Southern redfoot.. not having the typical 'marbling' on the plastron.

Example -
This is a female Brazilian [ aka cherryhead ] -

PEACHBELLY.jpg

PEACHBELLYI.jpg

Terry

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Looks like a cherryhead female to me.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Cherryhead female.
NERD is right though in that the plastron almost looks like a Bolivian/Paraguayan Chaco animal. But cherryheads can have that same nearly solid black plastron too.

TortesRme

5 Year Member
Canada
Thanks for the quick response. It seems that everyone that have tortoises in my area are confused and dont know exactly what they have or if they are male or female. I am sorry all of the "male or female" posts. I have personally guessed the sexes of everything that I have posted correctly but have second guessed my self on every occasion due to their owners insisting that they have something they dont. I am thankful for the help that is available on here.

TortesRme

5 Year Member
Canada
They insist that they have had it for 5 yrs and it has never laid eggs so it has to be male. I dont have the foggiest. Please email me or PM me and I will send more pics. Thanks

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
TortesRme said:
They insist that they have had it for 5 yrs and it has never laid eggs so it has to be male. I dont have the foggiest. Please email me or PM me and I will send more pics. Thanks
She looks for sure female, just too young for eggs.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) Female Cherryhead Redfoot. Unless they have a male, she most likely will never lay any eggs.

Danny

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
By the way, 'dwarf' Cherry-head is mostly a marketing term (but, then again, so is 'Cherry-head' :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.