Male redfoot for Adoption

J H

5 Year Member
I have a male (has flashed many times) redfoot named Bob. I would like to adopt out to someone in a warmer climate. I adopted bob off Craigslist a few years back to get him out of a very bad situation. If you search my posts you can see him and his story. He is very healthy and friendly. The only reason I would like to adopt him out is here in Minnesota he can only be outside a couple months a year at best. I would rather see him in a more natural setting (outside) much more often. He seems much happier outside than in his indoor home. I will NOT consider sending him to anyone who just plans to resell him and will ONLY send him to an established member here ( not a new member or someone who joined fairly recently). I will be picky on where he goes. Obviously shipping will be necessary. Thanks

Larrysmom

Hi!
I am in Kentucky. I have a male redfoot Franklin. We have a large outside enclosure and an inside enclosure for him. We have been wanting to add another redfoot or two. Would love to help your guy. Please contact me. I can send pics etc.
thanks!
Rhonda

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
The next tortoise I want is a redfoot. We need to sell our house and buy more land first. Man, I wish we were ready. I’ve seen sooooo many needing new homes this last month. Need to hustle and get our house ready to sell.

minnesota
I have a male (has flashed many times) redfoot named Bob. I would like to adopt out to someone in a warmer climate. I adopted bob off Craigslist a few years back to get him out of a very bad situation. If you search my posts you can see him and his story. He is very healthy and friendly. The only reason I would like to adopt him out is here in Minnesota he can only be outside a couple months a year at best. I would rather see him in a more natural setting (outside) much more often. He seems much happier outside than in his indoor home. I will NOT consider sending him to anyone who just plans to resell him and will ONLY send him to an established member here ( not a new member or someone who joined fairly recently). I will be picky on where he goes. Obviously shipping will be necessary. Thanks
I'm a tortoise keeper in minnesota too. I daydream about living in the southern state with my tortoises. Someday I may. It is hard. Everyday I check the weather hoping it will be a nice day for them to go out. And after each snow storm I cross my fingers it will be the last one- this winter went on forever. I also feel it is mor challenging to keep redfoots vs drier species. Living here we either have the air on or heat on, which makes humidity hard to deal with. Good luck with finding a good home.

J H

5 Year Member
The humidity is actually real easy with a closed chamber. Bob live in one and once it's up and running it's basically set and forget. I just want him to be able to be outside in the sun and fresh air more than possible here.

Larrysmom

The humidity is actually real easy with a closed chamber. Bob live in one and once it's up and running it's basically set and forget. I just want him to be able to be outside in the sun and fresh air more than possible here.
Hi again
Would you consider letting Bob come to KY? I have a large outdoor enclosure for my current redfoot, Franklin. My tortoises stAy outside during the day and come inside at night.
Please let me know...... would love to welcome Bob to our family.

Thank you
Rhonda

dvdposada

Houston
Good afternoon, I have been looking for a male for about 3 months and would explore having one shipped. My preference has been finding one locally in Houston. I’d like to see your’s and read his story. Knowing a future pet’s history is a big deal for me. I currently own 8 Redfoots but only 2 adult females who long for a male companion. Feel free to email me [email protected] or respond and I’d be happy to share pics of my herd, enclosures and anything else. Thanks

dvdposada

Houston
Good afternoon, I have been looking for a male for about 3 months and would explore having one shipped. My preference has been finding one locally in Houston. I’d like to see your’s and read his story. Knowing a future pet’s history is a big deal for me. I currently own 8 Redfoots but only 2 adult females who long for a male companion. Feel free to email me [email protected] or respond and I’d be happy to share pics of my herd, enclosures and anything else. Thanks
[email protected]

My plan is to keep him along with my small herd and pass them on to my kids when I’m not around. I’m 34 and they are 7 and 3, so definitely a long time from now I hope!

J H

5 Year Member
I have deceided to keep bob. He has a large indoor and outdoor enclosure and I can keep him as happy as possible in this climate.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
I have deceided to keep bob. He has a large indoor and outdoor enclosure and I can keep him as happy as possible in this climate.

Good for you. Though, you should of thought that through before making this thread and exciting people over nothing. I would never make a thread for an adoption then say “I’m just gonna keep it” after tons of people reply. It’s just unethical. Think that through before making an adoption thread next time, and I’m glad you are sticking with your tortoise.

J H

5 Year Member
Unethical ? I think not. I received a lot of replies all from what I would call newer members. Unethical would be just giving it to anyone who may or MAY NOT care for it just because they replied. Oh and the people who replied obviously DID NOT read the post. If they had read it they would not have responded. If you feel bound by an internet post such as mine and would feel obligated to give your tortoise to someone just because they replied. I truly feel very bad for you and your tortoise.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Unethical ? I think not. I received a lot of replies all from what I would call newer members. Unethical would be just giving it to anyone who may or MAY NOT care for it just because they replied. Oh and the people who replied obviously DID NOT read the post. If they had read it they would not have responded. If you feel bound by an internet post such as mine and would feel obligated to give your tortoise to someone just because they replied. I truly feel very bad for you and your tortoise.

Adoption threads should only be made if you really NEED to adopt your animal out so you don’t end up wasting yours and others time.

J H

5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure I explained why I posted him up for adoption. Again no one who replied wasted their time. They ALL just failed to read the requirements. Not my fault. It's also not my duty to just give him to someone just because they reply. If you bothered to look at the replies all who wanted to adopt had 1 thing in common. Ooooooh wait for it........."New member" next to their names. But thanks for your concern. Maybe you should also re read the origional post.

New York
Not someone who wanted to adopt bob, just like reading through adoption posts/happy stories. I wouldn't say ur post was unethical but I would say it was a little unrealistic. You stated you wanted to adopt bob out because you wanted a better climate for him, and that you didn't want to give him to a "new member". There aren't many "established members" that live in a proper climates that would want a high yellow male subspecies of red foot for their colection. Established members are exactly that, established. They have their colections that they have been working on for years, and are usually only looking for very specific specimans. Majority of people looking to adopt are new members.
After having the adoption add up for two weeks you decided to take it down. I am assuming you are doing this because you didn't like the replies you where only getting from "new members". I understand your concern that a new member wouldn't have the knowledge or ability to properly take care of bob, but that doesn't mean every "new member" is a bad owner. Looking back now you probably would have considered yourself a "new member" when you obtained bob. I'm not saying that you ow It to anyone that replied to give them bob, you need to determine if they are potentially good owners before deciding anything. I'm just saying that while the post had good initial intentions (finding a better forever home for bob) your prejudice made it unrealistic.
If you truly want the best living condition for bob, then you will need a "new member" who is willing to learn and has their heart in the right place. Simulare to you when you rescued bob off criegslist.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I disagree if I had to adopt out my tortoise for some reason no way no how I would send him to a new member with little to no messages and who's only messages on this site were trying to acquire a tortoise, on multiple ads. Which seems to be the case here. Unless they were local and I was able to come do a visual inspection of their accommodations. There's to many dishonest people in this world. I'm glad you decided to keep Bob and her doesn't have to go thru the stress of a shipping, a move etc.

J H

5 Year Member
Plenty of warnings about adopting to "new members" on here. Enough said. And having adopted bob from a person that would be consided new and seeing how he was kept and fed ect. I would never send him back to a place where it could likely happen again.