male redfoot is it too large for my females?

Redfoot mamma

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a 14 pound male red foot called Turok. My females are 11 and 9 inches about six pounds to eight pounds. I was told by my friend that the male might be too large for them. I was also going to wait on the 9 inch female breeding I was told it was better to wait till she was a little bigger. Right now I put them out grazing together I haven't seen any mating behavior I'm not going to put them back together though for a while. When can I put my females with him if at all or should he be housed separately and only go to the females for breeding purposes?

Attachments

• IMG_20180326_222700.jpg
    IMG_20180326_222700.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50

Redfoot mamma

Texas
Right now we're still having cold nights this is their overnight box inside not their enclosure just to make that clear.

manuetaaz

10 Year Member!
How big are the females cloaca opening? According to Allegra, a female is not sexually mature until an egg the size of a ping pong ball can pass. Size of the actual tortoise is less important than width of cloaca.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
There maybe different opinions on this subject. As long as your male is not persistently harassing your immature female I don’t see a problem. I’ve noticed if my females don’t want to copulate they just don’t let the male. I have noticed within my group certain females only allow certain males to copulate with them, this doesn’t mean the males won’t try. But the female just leaves her butt on the floor.

As long as your female isn’t stressed for a persistent male then I don’t see a problem. I have 7,8 and 9” torts in with full mature adults with no issues, BUT I also have plenty of space and hides to escape to if needed.
Offer an area that the female can get into that the male can’t if your not sure.