Male redfoot just not interested..

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I've had a large male redfoot for three years now and he just does not seem interested in the four females. Has anybody else had this issue, and what could be causing this1522363766051.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Get another male to raise testosterone levels. But you must quarantine any new tortoises first. Put the new male in its own pen and your existing male may get the scent of your new male and start ravaging all your females. He’s too contempt and does not feel threatened.

You could try removing him from the females and hopefully he gets restless, then put him back with the females.

Also rain gets them going. Try artificial rain.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Get another male to raise testosterone levels. But you must quarantine any new tortoises first. Put the new male in its own pen and your existing male may get the scent of your new male and start ravaging all your females. He’s too contempt and does not feel threatened.

You could try removing him from the females and hopefully he gets restless, then put him back with the females.

Also rain gets them going. Try artificial rain.
Thank you. This is the male I have coming this week. Definitely going to quarantine and a stool sample ASAPIMG_20180330_205041.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Man. You are lucky. They both look stunning. You
Do you know what locale yours is? Suriname maybe!!!!

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
The seller said they were imported from Guyana less than a month ago

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Has anyone had any experience with fresh import. How long do you think it would take to acclimate. He said that he has a strong appetite. However hasn't treated for any parasites. I am having a stool sample ran as soon as he poop's

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Redfoot ranch is where I got this guy from he has some nice looking females

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
@domalle look at these two. They look stunning.
Will these two be from older shipments, are redfoots still being exported from the wild today?

I think the distributor is being upfront with the new owner. Neither of the two show carapacial evidence of any length of time in captivity. They are certainly of recent wild caught vintage. And I agree with you the very dark male (circled) is very interesting. Would love to see the plastron, head and scale coloration. And measurements.

Latest information I have is wild caught redfoots are still being exported from Guyana (formerly British Guiana) and Suriname (formerly Dutch Guiana).
Both countries have quotas for wild caught animals by international convention.

The females look like many shipments I have seen out of Guyana. Redfoots from Suriname are said to attain large size. A friend of mine tells me he has a number of these specimens that are well over twenty inches.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I think the distributor is being upfront with the new owner. Neither of the two show carapacial evidence of any length of time in captivity. They are certainly of recent wild caught vintage. And I agree with you the very dark male (circled) is very interesting. Would love to see the plastron, head and scale coloration. And measurements.

Latest information I have is wild caught redfoots are still being exported from Guyana (formerly British Guiana) and Suriname (formerly Dutch Guiana).

The females look like many shipments I have seen out of Guyana. Redfoots from Suriname are said to attain large size. A friend of mine tells me he has a number of these specimens that are well over twenty inches.
Here's big

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!

He is big