Male redfoot just not interested..

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here's big

Could you take a measurement from front to back of the top shell on a straight line (not over the curve)? I usually set the tortoise lengthwise and
flush with a wall on a sheet of paper (I use newspaper for larger animals) and make a mark on the paper at the opposite end from the wall. Or mark both ends of the tortoise off on the underlying paper and measure the distance between the two marks.

A picture of the bottom shell will help us tell you more about your tortoise.

Redfoots are very adaptable. They have evolved to 'weather' just about any 'storm'. Whether that should include abrupt removal from their natural lives in the environments they are accustomed to, and designed for survival in, is a question worthy of consideration.

To assist their adjustment to captivity, large wild caught specimens should be provided with appropriate outdoor accommodation and wide-open spaces to replicate as closely as possible the natural habitat they were removed from. Plenty of time to explore and settle in comfortably to their new surroundings is recommended and a year-long quarantine after the stresses of capture and export is advisable.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Could you take a measurement from front to back of the top shell on a straight line (not over the curve)? I usually set the tortoise lengthwise and
flush with a wall on a sheet of paper (I use newspaper for larger animals) and make a mark on the paper at the opposite end from the wall. Or mark both ends of the tortoise off on the underlying paper and measure the distance between the two marks.

A picture of the bottom shell will help us tell you more about your tortoise.

Redfoots are very adaptable. They have evolved to 'weather' just about any 'storm'. Whether that should include abrupt removal from their natural lives in the environments they are accustomed to, and designed for survival in, is a question worthy of consideration.

To assist their adjustment to captivity, large wild caught specimens should be provided with appropriate outdoor accommodation and wide-open spaces to replicate as closely as possible the natural habitat they were removed from. Plenty of time to explore and settle in comfortably to their new surroundings is recommended and a year-long quarantine after the stresses of capture and export is advisable.
Yes I will as soon as I get home. A full year of quarantine? Better safe than sorry. I love the color on his cheeks. Just the way it fades from yellow to red.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes I will as soon as I get home. A full year of quarantine? Better safe than sorry. I love the color on his cheeks. Just the way it fades from yellow to red.

Quarantine periods are instituted not just to protect and evaluate new arrivals but, to the degree possible, ensure that existing animals in a collection are not infected with introduced parasites and pathogens. Many people take the risk and adopt less strict quarantine protocols.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Quarantine periods are instituted not just to protect and evaluate new arrivals but, to the degree possible, ensure that existing animals in a collection are not infected with introduced parasites and pathogens. Many people take the risk and adopt less strict quarantine protocols.
No rush. It won't hurt to separate for a year. I sectioned off a portion of their enclosure. It's not pretty it straight but it does the jobIMG_20180403_120834.jpg1522789778018.jpg

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No rush. It won't hurt to separate for a year. I sectioned off a portion of their enclosure. It's not pretty it straight but it does the jobView attachment 235054View attachment 235055

If I am interpreting the pictures correctly, the barrier does not appear sufficient to effect quarantine and prevent entry into the other part of the pen. He will easily overcome that obstacle. Redfoots don't tunnel but they will readily stand, stretch and hoist themselves over inadequate walls. They will also take advantage of corners where walls meet if those junctions are not capped.

Regrettably your setup, even with a higher barrier, allows for too close contact through transfer of soil, rain and other elements to complete effective quarantine. Although not always easy to provide, ideally the pens should be at a distance from each other. Sorry, hard work this petkeeping thing.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Thanks. I have an area I can setup on the other side of the yard. I can finish it up today when I get off. Thank you again