Male Russian embarassed himself big time!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Three of my russians came out of hibernation on Sunday but with the approaching cold weather, I felt like it would be better to bring them in for a few days until we warm back up. So I put my not so mature male in with my two females in the "holding" tub for russians. The girls were basking away while the male explored. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him begin the mating dance with my big female. She was sort of stuck so didn't put up a fight. He did his thing and when he decided it was time to um, mount up, he got into position, raised up and....Slammed his head into the basking light. Poor little guy ran away with tears in his eyes. I don't know if he will live through the shame, lol. He went right to the back and dug in and I didn't see him again all night (after I pulled him out and checked to be sure he was ok. He was.)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Aww! Poor baby! Poor bruised little ego too :(

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Somehow, I'm thinking your basking light is too low. :) I would never place a hanging light over my bed that did not allow clearance for amorous times.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LMAO, need that laugh. Thanks for sharing.:D. Poor fella, I bet the lady's were laugh like crazy, well, if torts could laugh.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
WillTort2 said:
Somehow, I'm thinking your basking light is too low. :) I would never place a hanging light over my bed that did not allow clearance for amorous times.

Yeah, I guessed the same. This is actually a tub I set up for possible rescue box turtles this spring and was not being used. I turned the light on and went to try and find the last one before the rain came. I am only putting them in it for the two days of wet cold we are getting since they came up earlier than I thought they would.

And when I say he hit it, I mean he HIT it! I thought the bulb had blown out or the light had fallen down, it was that loud (hard). I looked just in time to see him roll off to the side and um...lose his desire if you know what I mean.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
WillTort2 said:

Yeah, I guessed the same. This is actually a tub I set up for possible rescue box turtles this spring and was not being used. I turned the light on and went to try and find the last one before the rain came. I am only putting them in it for the two days of wet cold we are getting since they came up earlier than I thought they would.

And when I say he hit it, I mean he HIT it! I thought the bulb had blown out or the light had fallen down, it was that loud (hard). I looked just in time to see him roll off to the side and um...lose his desire if you know what I mean.

Poor fella! I am sure he will get over it! Give him a treat to heal his ego and let him get back to his business!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I raised the light and left him alone for the day with two pretty little mature females so he might be having a great day!