Male Russian hiding. Trying to hibernate already?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I have a 1.3 group of Russians in an outdoor enclosure. It is 25' X 25', and heavily planted. The night temp is dropping pretty good here. Into the low 50's. They have a heated night box that keeps the temps in the low 70's. My small male is regularly burrying himself outside. He was a foot deep the other night. Thankfully my husband got lucky, and found the hole, and him. The day temps are still getting into the 90's, so I am not wanting to bring them in yet. Any thoughts or ideas on why he is doing this all of the sudden? I am afraid we won't be able to find him, and it is too cold to leave him out.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
A little more info will maybe get me some suggestions? He is 356 grams. In July he was about 400 grams. I weigh weekly. He has been slowly losing weight. It goes back up for a couple of weeks then back down. I am going to get a fecal done, but any other ideas. I am planning to hibernate my Russians so need to figure out what is going on. Thank you.
All 3 females are doing great.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My russia is less active too. I have seen that other russian keeper are seeing the same. Maybe just that time of the year. Can you keep him inside for a few days and warm him up a bit?