Flower_Puff_Gal

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin
Hi everyone, This is a really strange question but
I’m looking for some advice! I will be getting a baby Russian tortoise soon and I want a female but I know that tortoises are very hard to sex when they’re very young. I’ve become really worried that I might end up with a male due to all the horror stories I’ve read online about sexual aggression ? is it really as bad as the internet makes it sound? I don’t want a tortoise that is super aggressive and never stops trying to hump everything they see ? please be kind and thanks in advance!

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
Pistachio is a wild caught tortoise of probably 5-10 years old. I have had him over a year now. The most activity I see is when bathing, he likes to flash a lot. If you haven’t seen a tortoise penis make sure to google it as it’s strange at first. Looks like a purple/red fleshy trumpet which is pretty sizable in comparison to the rest of him.
Occasionally he will mount this calcium block he has but it’s not very often.
Overall in regards to male animals I have owned his behavior has been very mild.
Hope this helps.
-Meg

Flower_Puff_Gal

Dublin
Pistachio is a wild caught tortoise of probably 5-10 years old. I have had him over a year now. The most activity I see is when bathing, he likes to flash a lot. If you haven’t seen a tortoise penis make sure to google it as it’s strange at first. Looks like a purple/red fleshy trumpet which is pretty sizable in comparison to the rest of him.
Overall in regards to male animals I have owned his behavior has been very mild.
Hope this helps.
-Meg
Hello, thanks so much for replying, that’s really helpful and reassuring that he doesn’t do it too much! I love his name by the way! ☺️

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I've only seen the sexual aggression when the male is around a female tortoise. Otherwise they are pretty chill.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hope this helps.
-Meg
Nice description of the male organ!