1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Male Sulcata available for adoption (FL)

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by dozertort, Sep 7, 2018.

1. dozertort

dozertort New Member 5 Year Member

I have a male Sulcata that I need to find a new home for. He is named Turq and is 5 years old. He weighs ~50 lbs at the moment. We need to rehome him because we are not planning to breed tortoises and until recently (when he started flashing) we thought he was a female. This is a heartbreaking decision and it is not one we have arrived at easily. He is available for adoption to someone that is experienced with Sulcatas and will give him the care and attention he deserves.
    DeeBug37 likes this.
  2. DeeBug37

DeeBug37 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Pensacola, FL
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi Jori, Yes!!! I am intersted! YES I would give him a great home and life! I LOVE LOVE my torts! I'd love some more pics. Thank you for considering me too! Where exactly in Florida are you?
  3. maggie18fan

maggie18fan Member

Corvallis Oregon
    Don't give him up because he's male. Male's have more personality, are more bonded to their keeper and simply more fun. I have always preferred males simply because they are more fun. Think this over seriously before you make a decision. I don't breed either, I believe males are better pets....
    I lost Bob 3 yrs ago at 125 lbs, I have 2 males now and enjoy the heck outa them. Big Sam is 5 and 40 to 50 pounds. My sister has Dudley who is 20 something (I think) and over 100 pounds. He's an easy keeper as well.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    DeeBug37 likes this.
  4. DeeBug37

DeeBug37 New Member

Pensacola, FL

I didn't know that about Males, makes sense though I share my Spike is OBSESSED with me, it's crazy how much he watches me and chases me! I used to think it was only over food but mostly he wants rubs and neck scratches BEFORE he even checks out what I've served for dinner! They are so personable, Jori that is something to consider
    maggie18fan likes this.
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    I think she has a male and a female and rather than try to separate them, she's opting to find a good home for one of them. I'm with the others. Keep the male and find a home for the female.
  6. dozertort

dozertort New Member 5 Year Member

I am taking your comments under consideration and discussing with my family. Thank you all. It's just not any easy decision.