male sulcata in Socal 13 years-old

craM

5 Year Member
Hi there,

We have two 13 year-old torts that we've had since hatchlings. Both are sociable and healthy, little to no pyramiding. When we got them in 2000 we assumed they'd be better off with a buddy--now we know the two males would rather not be buddies. Most of the year they are fine together but they tend to show aggression toward each other at times, which creates unnecessary stress on them both, and we don't have the means to keep them separated all the time.

It's tough but we know they'd both will be happier if we re-home one to someone with sulcata experience. I figure I'd post here first since it's clear that there are some great handlers represented.

PM me of you have interest, experience, and the willingness to provide a good home for our beloved Ozark.

craM

5 Year Member
I'll post a pic when I get home, Tom. And let it be known that I appreciate your writings on this forum. We knew for some time that our torts weren't always playing nice but your points about paired torts really drove the point home.

I am torn about keeping them both and just devoting more of our backyard to separate enclosures. But finding a good home for one might be the best solution, as we have dogs, chickens and kiddos also vying for their place in the yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
craM said:
I'll post a pic when I get home, Tom. And let it be known that I appreciate your writings on this forum. We knew for some time that our torts weren't always playing nice but your points about paired torts really drove the point home.

I am torn about keeping them both and just devoting more of our backyard to separate enclosures. But finding a good home for one might be the best solution, as we have dogs, chickens and kiddos also vying for their place in the yard.

Thanks for the kind words. This is such a personal decision. I'm always bummed when I see someone with this dilemma. I have had to face it myself, so I know how it feels. Good luck whichever way you go.

(And I'd still love to see a pic, just out of curiosity.) :D

craM

5 Year Member
I am usually savvy enough to post a picture on a forum but for some reason there's no option under my textbox to add an attachment through the forum itself.

I searched the "how to post picture thread" and (besides a photobucket url) it says there should be an attachment option when replying. I'll try again when I have more patience.

You're right, Tom, the decision to part with a four-legged pal sucks. We're not 100% committed yet to giving him up. But if he were to go to the right person and place, it would make the decision easier. My little ones are broken up about the thought of re-homing a sully and cannot understand how Cuda and Ozark could be happier without each other.

craM

5 Year Member
DSC02223_zpsdd299f10.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Let's try the photobucket. :cool:

Here's Ozark sunning himself.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
He's beautiful!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app