Man they grow so fast

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Very nice!!! May I ask what kind of substrate you use? I know a lot of people use oyster shells for their Egyptians, but I have never been comfortable using it.

ismail

5 Year Member
What do you give them to eat? I am trying all the weeds i normally give to my graecas but they seem interested only in lettuce :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Very nice!!! May I ask what kind of substrate you use? I know a lot of people use oyster shells for their Egyptians, but I have never been comfortable using it.
Decomposed granite mixed with topsoil. Holds moisture but gives the arid substrate needed

billskleins

5 Year Member
Kelly - approx what is the ratio of the decomposed granite to soil in your substrate ?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Decomposed is 75% 10% is mulch(small pieces not large bark pieces) and then 15% top soil. Decomposed granite hardens up like concrete over time. So I add the mix to help with it to not harden up. San Diego zoo keeps there homopus on decomposed granite and always had trouble with females digging to nest because of it hardening. But a quick add of percentage of other soils helps with it. They typically dig like they would in the wild, straight down with their butts in the air at a good 30-40 degree angle. They love it. It can be ingested though which is a concern. So a food plate is definitely to be utilized with this substrate.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Wow. How beautiful. I mean entire group!!!!

Turtlepete

South Florida
Decomposed is 75% 10% is mulch(small pieces not large bark pieces) and then 15% top soil. Decomposed granite hardens up like concrete over time. So I add the mix to help with it to not harden up. San Diego zoo keeps there homopus on decomposed granite and always had trouble with females digging to nest because of it hardening. But a quick add of percentage of other soils helps with it. They typically dig like they would in the wild, straight down with their butts in the air at a good 30-40 degree angle. They love it. It can be ingested though which is a concern. So a food plate is definitely to be utilized with this substrate.

Very interesting information. Do you use that kind of substrate with other arid species, like Chaco's perhaps? Beautiful animals. If I had a lot of money to spend I would want to get a few of these guys at the NRBE this year, haha.

M

Maggie Cummings

Seems like when ever I say something about your tortoises the word "beautiful" is used often...so just put the word in here...your tortoises are just ---------.