Mana or death from above....tree flowers

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
IMG_2864 (2).JPG IMG_2864 (2).JPG IMG_2954 (2).JPG IMG_2957 (2).JPG
Hawthorn tree; Five are fairly common to Iowa: downy hawthorn, cockspur, pearhaw, punctate haw, and red haw. I am not sure what species in in my immediate area; but last night a storm brought down billions of of their flowers and not one place in my yard is not covered with them. This tree does not produce any berries as some of the more toxic ones. Looking up on tortoise table I cannot find a reference to them; alsthough some sites refer to their leaves and berries being toxic when matured with cyanide. JUst to be safe I have brought my sully inside till they are gone. Just wondered if anyone knows anything more . Again this is in Iowa; and the trees are indigenous.

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Not sure if this is what you mean. This is British hawthorn.View attachment 273182
Problem is there are at least 5 different species in our area....but am not botanist enough to tell the difference. But its all kind of moot point now....tornadic winds and lots of rain have taken care of the problem for me. Till next spring.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Problem is there are at least 5 different species in our area....but am not botanist enough to tell the difference. But its all kind of moot point now....tornadic winds and lots of rain have taken care of the problem for me. Till next spring.
Could you try a garden centre to see if they can identify from cuttings? At least you now have a while to find out [emoji57] [emoji23]