Manouria emys doesn't eat

labil86

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, United States
Hey all, I've been a long time lurker of the forum but I've run into a bit if an issue with my burmese brown. She doesn't seem to be eating. Every now and then she'll munch on corn, banana, monkey biscuit (for protien) and occasionally greens. I keep her temps between 70-85 since they're from cooler regions. It's a little difficult to get the humidity of her tub any higher than 75%. I give her weekly soakings and offer her a huge variety of greens, fruits, and veggies. I'm stumped as to why she eats so sporadically. Could it be the temp or humidity since I'm in winter in NY, USA? The photoperiod? If anyone has any information that may help, we would greatly appreciate it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My younger ones go through periods of not eating too. I don't think its anything to worry about. Withhold food for a few days and I think she'll eat then when you offer her food.

One thing that struck me about your post is the fact that you only soak once a week. This is a very 'wet' animal. They spend a lot of time in the water. I keep my young Manouria in pretty swamp-like conditions and they have a pool available so they can spend time sitting in the water whenever they want to.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
A few questions:

How long have you had her?
Is she CB or WC? How old roughly?
Does she have a pool for soaking on her own?
Enclosure description with photos would be very helpful. You description of all is very vague.

labil86

5 Year Member
New York, United States
I've had her for roughly 5 months. She's a captive bred. I'm not sure her exact age; she was a rescue from someone who wasn't able to care for her anymore. So she does have her own shallow pool to soak in on her own. I keep her on a 100% organic sphagnum substrate. She mostly seems to just sleep the day away. I will add photos as soon as I can.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
What kind of lighting? My group of emys emys , both WC and CB, do slow down dramatically during the winter months. Have you been tracking her weight? Start tracking her weight every week or so. Keep your eye on her and hopefully she will become more active with the onset of spring, if it ever comes.

She could have issues from previous poor husbandry. A qualified vet could be helpful here.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
labil86 said:
Hey all, I've been a long time lurker of the forum but I've run into a bit if an issue with my burmese brown. She doesn't seem to be eating. Every now and then she'll munch on corn, banana, monkey biscuit (for protien) and occasionally greens. I keep her temps between 70-85 since they're from cooler regions. It's a little difficult to get the humidity of her tub any higher than 75%. I give her weekly soakings and offer her a huge variety of greens, fruits, and veggies. I'm stumped as to why she eats so sporadically. Could it be the temp or humidity since I'm in winter in NY, USA? The photoperiod? If anyone has any information that may help, we would greatly appreciate it.
.......For some reason lots of people think Manouria come from a cool climate. ITS HOT everywhere they live. Google the world weather. They try to get cool by living near water burring under leaves etc. Environment wise, they don't feel good when dry. I would get a fecal FIRST were you might find a Protozoan contamination, very common in captives. Mt.Tortoises should eat like pigs. Vic Morgan

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Labil86,
Are y’all still around, and if so what were the results for you regarding the recommendations of emysbreeder?