1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Manouria emys emys Hatchling Worries

Discussion in 'Asian brown/black and Impressed tortoises' started by OkoraAphra10, Dec 7, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Clovis, CA
    I mostly use pothos, but I've see boston fern in Mark's enclosures, and clumps of some kind of grass that they like to hide under. You put the plants in there with the mind set that they're not going to live long, so you have duplicates growing elsewhere that you can change out when the first set needs to come out.
  2. OkoraAphra10

OkoraAphra10 New Member

Birmingham, AL
    I'll pick some up later today! Is there anything else that I could alter/change?
  3. Kapidolo Farms

Kapidolo Farms Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
  4. OkoraAphra10

OkoraAphra10 New Member

Birmingham, AL
    An update,
    The tort stays where i place him and falls asleep still. I placed pothos and elephant ear in the enclosure and upped the temperatures. I have attached pictures of the enclosure and the tort. His plastron is kinda concave and seems like there is a gap, not quite sure. When he soaks, eyes open and clear for a few minutes before falling asleep again.

IMG_8558.JPG
  5. OkoraAphra10

OkoraAphra10 New Member

Birmingham, AL
    More pictures

IMG_8560.JPG IMG_8561.JPG IMG_8562.JPG IMG_8563.JPG IMG_8564.JPG
  6. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    It sounds like there's more going on with your baby than we're going to be able to help you with. I'm sorry, but I don't have any words of wisdom for you.
  7. rmn813

rmn813 Member

Tampa, FL
    How's this little one doing? Some feeding suggestions that may help stimulate appetite; moistened Mazuri tortoise diet, mushrooms and mango.
  8. OkoraAphra10

OkoraAphra10 New Member

Birmingham, AL
    Little one passed away last week. I buried him and planted the pothos next to him.
  9. rmn813

rmn813 Member

Tampa, FL
    Sorry to see that Okura. Please give it another try with this species. It's a great tortoise to work with.
  10. harris

harris Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Ohio
    Sorry to hear. My belief is that your temps are way too high. 95 bask and 85 ambient is too much. Either subspecies needs the ability to cool down. My experience is with the Mee's only. I've raised them from hatchlings to 11 - 13 yrs old. I've kept the ambient room temp @ 70 - 75 degrees, never exceeding 75, from the beginning to where they are today in age. The basking area provided on the opposite end of enclosure(s) is kept at 80-85. When outdoors their enclosure is 80% shade.

I hope this passing does not discourage you from giving it another shot with this incredible genus.
  11. harris

harris Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Ohio
    By no means am I discouraging Yvonne's care. She is one of the charter members in the USA to work and care for these 2 subspecies. It's the hot California climate vs the 4 seasons of NE Ohio in the snow belt, where heat and humidity is a challenge when brought indoors for the colder months.

What it boils down to is these guys are incredibly versatile once established @ 20-24 mos of age. I personally have had great success with providing a cooler climate, because I was basically forced to. Also note that when indoors I have an industrial floor fan running 24/7. Air rotation indoors is key, no matter what climate.