Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Manouria - The continuing Burmese saga

jasso2 said:
hey yvonne congrats! wish ill see my russian lay one day. but i would like some burmeses. how much do they run for?

I haven't really decided yet. I've been thinking about asking $300 apiece, but I'm going to contact a breeder I know in Florida and get his advice.

Yvonne

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

The only eggs I have handled are box turtle eggs and redfoot eggs. It seems like they arent like either...is that right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Redfootedboxturtles said:
The only eggs I have handled are box turtle eggs and redfoot eggs. It seems like they arent like either...is that right?

I'm not sure about RF eggs, but box turtle eggs look more like white pecans. My eggs look "egg zacly" like ping pong balls. But I'm sure you handle them the same way.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Well what I meant by box turtle eggs is they are soft and leathery where the redfoot eggs are hard like chicken eggs. Also like pingpong balls but a lot firmer. Almost like I could never imagine a redfoot egg being soft.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Redfootedboxturtles said:
Well what I meant by box turtle eggs is they are soft and leathery where the redfoot eggs are hard like chicken eggs. Also like pingpong balls but a lot firmer. Almost like I could never imagine a redfoot egg being soft.

In that case, yes, they are like box turtle eggs. It's really easy to squeeze one a little too hard and break it.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

So, as I've told you before, I had about 100 Manouria eggs in two incubators that have been incubating for two months and a few days. Way too soon to hatch. Anyway, I looked inside one of the incubators this a.m. and one of the eggs had pipped, but the baby was dead. The egg was really dry and the yolk sac was very large. They should incubate for at least 3 months, maybe more, so it was too soon for this baby to hatch. There aren't many eggs left that look any good. So things are not looking very good for Manouria babies coming from Central Calif this year!

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Interesting that even as a preemie, it could open it's egg up. Sorry the eggs all seem to be not surviving, but hey there are still a few left, so maybe luck will change. *fingers crossed*

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

Hi Yvonne,
I always thought Asian Browns were pretty quick hatchers. I looked it up again and the average is 60 to 75 days. Your little one might have just been a bit early. If the egg was dry, than I would up the humidity, 90% + seems to be the consensus for Asian Browns.
Temperatures over 30C also seem to get eggs into trouble and lessen the hatch rate considerably.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada

Amazing!

Congratulations Yvonne! Keep us updated please :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Thanks for your input, Danny. I had let the incubator dry out, forgetting about it for a couple of weeks. I've re-filled the recepticals and spritzed the moss and eggs. Hopefully the good ones that are left will be ok. And these are the Asian Black tortoises. The last time I hatched them they incubated from end of June until October...a little over 90 days. I have hopes that there are still some good ones left. The one that pipped was a little moldy, and one of the ones I figured wasn't good. Go figure!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Wishing you luck on some Blacks hatching Yvonne.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona

I so hope some of those eggs hatch!!!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa

If it is any help Wasseaar Zoo, Wassenaar, Holland incubated theirs at 28 degrees C, 90% humidity in damp sand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Itort said:
If it is any help Wasseaar Zoo, Wassenaar, Holland incubated theirs at 28 degrees C, 90% humidity in damp sand.

I'm not fluent in changing farenheit to celcius, but last time I had eggs from the female Mee (brown) who was covered by male Mep (black), I incubated them at 83 degrees and hatched out 19 intergrade babies (the rest of the 49 eggs were clear). At 83 degrees (I still have 6 of those babies, now 10 years old) all turned out to be male. So I have the temp set a couple degrees higher this time, hoping for females. Can anyone tell me what Danny's 30c and ITORT's 28C convert to? (I'm too old to try to learn a new way.) Also, if I keep too much water in the incubator the eggs tend to grow mold on them. Its pretty hard to strike a balance. I know I'm not reaching 90% because of the mold. I have to keep them kind of dry.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

It's 82 to 86F :D You need to change your incubation medium Yvonne. You will always get mold on the moss as it's not sterile.
Your best bet would be vermiculite, perlite or sand. Using either one of the 3 I've only had infertile eggs go moldy.

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia

Moss has been used as an incubation medium because it is Acidic... It prohibits bacteria growth by nature.

All the mediums you list are not sterile unless sterilized... Yea... I know... sounds stupid... but think about it.

Ed

egyptiandan said:
It's 82 to 86F :D You need to change your incubation medium Yvonne. You will always get mold on the moss as it's not sterile.
Your best bet would be vermiculite, perlite or sand. Using either one of the 3 I've only had infertile eggs go moldy.

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

You are absolutely right Ed about moss being acidic and inhibiting bacteria growth. Mold though is a fungus and isn't inhibited by moss.
You are right again Ed about the mediums not being sterile unless stated or you do it yourself. They do though in my experience inhibit mold growth. So I misspoke and should have said in my experience fungal inhibative, not necessarily sterile. :D
What would I do without you Ed you do keep me honest. :D
That picture is definately in order at Daytona, no need to talk me into it. :p

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia

Dude... I'm banking on it.

Stell would flip over it.

egyptiandan said:
You are absolutely right Ed about moss being acidic and inhibiting bacteria growth. Mold though is a fungus and isn't inhibited by moss.
You are right again Ed about the mediums not being sterile unless stated or you do it yourself. They do though in my experience inhibit mold growth. So I misspoke and should have said in my experience fungal inhibative, not necessarily sterile. :D
What would I do without you Ed you do keep me honest. :D
That picture is definately in order at Daytona, no need to talk me into it. :p

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa

emysemys [quote=Itort said:

I'm not fluent in changing farenheit to celcius, but last time I had eggs from the female Mee (brown) who was covered by male Mep (black), I incubated them at 83 degrees and hatched out 19 intergrade babies (the rest of the 49 eggs were clear). At 83 degrees (I still have 6 of those babies, now 10 years old) all turned out to be male. So I have the temp set a couple degrees higher this time, hoping for females. Can anyone tell me what Danny's 30c and ITORT's 28C convert to? (I'm too old to try to learn a new way.) Also, if I keep too much water in the incubator the eggs tend to grow mold on them. Its pretty hard to strike a balance. I know I'm not reaching 90% because of the mold. I have to keep them kind of dry.

Yvonne
[/quote]

Yvonne, here's a tool I find valuable: www.tools.repashy.com

Status
Not open for further replies.