Manure as fertiliser?

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I’ve never tried it but I have seen others do it and it looks like it’s great!
My chain of thoughts was: since using fertilisers bought from stores isn't safe as the components are unknown. But we know what it torts manure is made of (lol) so I guess it would be save to use as fertilisers. An I roughly about that?

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Actually, now that I think of, plants can't absorb the nutrients from the manure themselves... They need the help of decomposers. Do the decomposing bacteria inhabitate the plant pot if there's food (the manure) for them to eat?
Also, I saw online that only distilled water can be used to water these flowers and grasses, is that true?

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Actually, now that I think of, plants can't absorb the nutrients from the manure themselves... They need the help of decomposers. Do the decomposing bacteria inhabitate the plant pot if there's food (the manure) for them to eat?
Also, I saw online that only distilled water can be used to water these flowers and grasses, is that true?
I don't know about the bacteria role in the nutrient absorbtion by plants im no expert in that field lol, but using only distilled water seems ridiculous to me, straight good'ol water from any well is probably perfect and contain minerals which is just better. Depends just if you put it outside or inside I wouldn't put tortoise poop in indoor flower pots(because of the smell) but outside I would totally do it.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I don't know about the bacteria role in the nutrient absorbtion by plants im no expert in that field lol, but using only distilled water seems ridiculous to me, straight good'ol water from any well is probably perfect and contain minerals which is just better. Depends just if you put it outside or inside I wouldn't put tortoise poop in indoor flower pots(because of the smell) but outside I would totally do it.
Oh yeah... I didn't count for the pungent smell of the faeces. And the ammonia smell after the manure is decomposed is even worse... I am planting them indoors... Hm I guess I can plant a lot of lavender to compensate the smell? XD

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I have an area in my new outdoor enclosure where the soil struggles to grow grass. So I scooped horse poop out of my pasture and wheeled it in. I planted some grazing seed and it is has germinated amazingly ... I put my tortoise outside to enjoy some sun the other day and found him picking up the extra chunks of horse poo that didn’t dissolve.. Lol.. I wasn’t to concerned because I know what’s in my pasture and where my horses have been, but I moved him anyways:)
IMG_1300.jpg

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I have an area in my new outdoor enclosure where the soil struggles to grow grass. So I scooped horse poop out of my pasture and wheeled it in. I planted some grazing seed and it is has germinated amazingly ... I put my tortoise outside to enjoy some sun the other day and found him picking up the extra chunks of horse poo that didn’t dissolve.. Lol.. I wasn’t to concerned because I know what’s in my pasture and where my horses have been, but I moved him anyways:)
View attachment 267783
Still haven't solved my main question... How can Lucky's manure be decomposed. The soul outside already has natural decomposers like the bacteria and springtails and even roaches, worms. But I obviously can't get the springtails and bugs inside... The only viable decomposer are the bacteria. But how do I get them into my pots?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Still haven't solved my main question... How can Lucky's manure be decomposed. The soul outside already has natural decomposers like the bacteria and springtails and even roaches, worms. But I obviously can't get the springtails and bugs inside... The only viable decomposer are the bacteria. But how do I get them into my pots?

I’m sorry, didn’t mean to ramble on your post. I’m only a recent gardener due to my tortoise keeping. I get excited but ultimately still know next to nothing.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I’m sorry, didn’t mean to ramble on your post. I’m only a recent gardener due to my tortoise keeping. I get excited but ultimately still know next to nothing.
Oh no worries. I'm glad we both started gardening because of our torts XD. Sorry, I just wanted to have my answer ASAP.