Many, Many Questions (sorry)

Crush da Baum

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville
Recently my outdoor enclosure (more of just a play pen I take my torts out to get some sunshine) was destroyed. A big tree fell over on top of it and broke everything. The good thing though is when rebuilding it I decided to make it a permanent enclosure for them to live in. I have never done this and have some questions. I am planning on getting a ton of cinder blocks and cover the outside with 2 block high walls. Do I have to worry about them falling over? One of my torts has a craving for literally everything including sand. I do not think it is a mineral deficiency because she has a good varied diet and I supplement her with Miner-All. She also just tries to eat everything. Any ideas how to fix this? Also what hides do you guys like to use for outdoor enclosures. I was thinking maybe buckets. Sorry about all the questions.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
u shouldnt have a prob with the walls.. i would stagger the second row(makes it much more sturdy). As far as the eating thing i couldnt help u there.. jack kind of nibbles at everything he finds but doesnt eat it. Hides.. anything! Use ur imagination.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Buckets would work.. u can bury them half into the ground and cover with dirt to insulate ( and give ur torts a lil climbing fun

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Buckets would work great. I would half-bury the bucket, then fill the inside so it is more enclosed and dark and burrowable. Then I would add extra dirt on top of the bucket to make it look better and to prevent it from heating up too much. Also i would make an area of just sand or the natural soil, with all the grass ripped out. Without the grass, it is more like their natural habitat, they have more room to walk, and weeds grow super well in those open spots; especially florida pusley. Make sure to post pics!

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Buckets would work great. I would half-bury the bucket, then fill the inside so it is more enclosed and dark and burrowable. Then I would add extra dirt on top of the bucket to make it look better and to prevent it from heating up too much. Also i would make an area of just sand or the natural soil, with all the grass ripped out. Without the grass, it is more like their natural habitat, they have more room to walk, and weeds grow super well in those open spots; especially florida pusley. Make sure to post pics!
It is all like that now. The only problem is they eat the dirt and sand. :(

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Recently my outdoor enclosure (more of just a play pen I take my torts out to get some sunshine) was destroyed. A big tree fell over on top of it and broke everything. The good thing though is when rebuilding it I decided to make it a permanent enclosure for them to live in. I have never done this and have some questions. I am planning on getting a ton of cinder blocks and cover the outside with 2 block high walls. Do I have to worry about them falling over? One of my torts has a craving for literally everything including sand. I do not think it is a mineral deficiency because she has a good varied diet and I supplement her with Miner-All. She also just tries to eat everything. Any ideas how to fix this? Also what hides do you guys like to use for outdoor enclosures. I was thinking maybe buckets. Sorry about all the questions.

If you do go with cinder blocks stacked up & overlapping, you can also take either rebar or wooden stakes and put a stake down inside every other block or so. Pound those down level with the top of the blocks. You can aldo fill all those cinder block holes with soil, & plant greens & vines....that will trail down to be nibbled.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Do they have access to eggshells? Some don't like cuttlebones. Maybe that is the reason?? Idk any other reason of mineral deficient..
Yea, I tried grinding them into a fine powder for like natural calcium supplement but, I will try just putting the whole thing in there to see if they eat it.