Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can buy a very large plastic bin, larger than a glass aquarium, for a lot less $$ than the glass one. And a bin with a lid is pretty easy to adapt as a closed enclosure (for humidity).

An example of what I mean (I didn't have a lid for this one, so I improvised):

Christmas tree bin aa.jpgchristmas tree bin bb.jpg

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Rosie - NO ONE is criticizing you for making a mistake. The fact that you are here gathering info is AWESOME, you are a rock star! Be PROUD of what you are doing right now.

I would LOVE a sulcata, or honestly I'd love another tortoise of almost any kind. But I don't have one because I know I am not capable of providing it the kind of care it needs -- not without becoming physically or financially burdensome to me, or conflicting with other elements of my life right now (and that RIGHT NOW is really important - you have a LONG LIFE ahead of you, you will hopefully have a time in your life when a Sulcata could work easily).

All we're advising is that based on what you have told us, there looks like there could be factors ENTIRELY out of your control that are going to make things harder for you and this little one down the road. You don't have the ability to decide how much space it gets ( your dad has said how big of a tank you can have and that's fine - that's NORMAL - your Dad is not doing anything wrong at all, but that tortoise is going to outgrow that tank REALLY FAST). And you're going to need a properly insulated shed which is expensive once it gets larger. What happens then?

Yvonne is right - you can get something much better for it than a tank - you can get a *gigantic* plastic bin with a big footprint - the biggest you can get - and that will last you a while. But you are now committing to have a tortoise that is going to need a lot of time, space, and MONEY dedicated to it. You live in Oklahoma - the weather will DICTATE what you need to provide for this little one and if you (or your parents) aren't prepared to be able to do that, then its sort of like buying a pony when you don't have a barn (or plans or resources to build a barn).

That's all we're trying to do. No one thinks you will be a bad owner. I would probably be an AMAZING sulcata owner too, but I am not getting one because I know its not right for the tortoise because even though I'd be great at it, that alone is not enough...

All I'm saying is - for the sake of that little tortoise you love so much - make sure you and your parents understand *really understand* what's coming down the road.

Oklahoma
Yes, I truly understand what is coming down the road. So does my dad, we are getting the 40 gallon tank which we will only use for about 3-6 months, and then we will most likely get a big plastic one. We are getting the 40 gallon one because one of my dads friends have it, so it is free when it would usually be around 200$. I have already planned out the next couple of years if it’s life. We have a cut out section of our yard which we could fence off for next year. We would do that for about a year to make sure Rosie is ready to stay outside. Then, she would live outside and the shed would be ready by then. I know all about the risks and everything, and I really appreciate you guys concerns. The fact is, I am ready to have a sulcata tortoise. Even though it came with a rough start, I am getting it under control so it can grow old happily.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Then it sounds like you are well on your way. This will be a great Family pet with everyone's involvement. Sorry I thought YOU were Rosie, apologize about that. Rosie is a great name, regardless if she ends up being a he.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey guys, I recently got a tortoise as many know and apparently I don’t have all of the right supplies. I have already been lectured on everything, so I don’t need any more please. I just wanted everybody to know what I am doing. I am getting a 40 gallon fish tank for my baby sulcata tortoise to live in. Many people think that is too small, but that is what I am doing. This is a giant upgrade from the last cage and I am doing it because of all of the helpful people who have said my cage is too small. My tortoise spends most of the day roaming my back yard anyways, with me keeping an eye on it. I also have a UV lamp, that is not the wattage some people say is right. Some people also say that if your tortoise stays outside there is no use for a UV light. Because of this I am going to continue to take my tortoise outside daily, and use my UV light for 8-10 hours a day. I am getting a humidifier for my tortoise, and a humidity meter. A lot of people say that the humidity won’t stay in an aquarium, but I have had luck in the past. I feed my tortoise Iceberg lettuce, Roman lettuce, carrot, apple, and aloe. I also add calcium every other day. My tortoise usually eats normal grass when grazing outside, clover, dandelion, and more. Even though I offer all of the food in its bowl, it will only eat the lettuce. This is ok though because it eats a lot of variety’s outside. I soak my tortoise for 15 minutes every day, at about 80 degrees. It had a hide out which will need to be updated i about a month, because it is a little smaller than I had hoped. I am telling everybody all of this not to get feedback or for anybody to judge. I just wanted everybody to know what I am doing, whether is is wrong or right. In the future, I will update everything, and in 2 years it will live in my backyard. I am sorry if you have a problem with this, but this is how I will do it.
So you just really don't care about doing it right by your tortoise, and you just want to start crap! Why are you even on this forum? There are other groups out there for people like you. You probably would like those groups a lot better. They do everything wrong too!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
So you just really don't care about doing it right by your tortoise, and you just want to start crap! Why are you even on this forum? There are other groups out there for people like you. You probably would like those groups a lot better. They do everything wrong too!

Old post, lots more info since then. Poster is also a teenager, I believe, so just working through some things :cool:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I totally agree with SinLA. Take the advice given you by keepers who have "been there. . . done that", or don't take it. No need to brag about not taking it. We'll still be here in a few weeks when you come back with your badly pyramided, sickly tortoise. We'll try to not say, "Haha, I told you so."
Oh I surely will say told ya so. Yep, I'm that person! Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, so I found a bulb that I think will work. I will put a picture so you guys can correct me in case it is the wrong kind. Also, it says that I shouldn’t but vegetables for it in a grocery store. Do you want me to just go outside and pick some weeds and grass? What I will do to keep the humidity and temperature is put something over the top, but have a spot for the lamp to go through, and also so it doesn’t suffocate. Lecture me on any of this please!
No. That is not the right bulb. You need four bulbs, and the one pictured is not the right one for any of them. Basking bulb, UV bulb, ambient lighting bulb, and a CHE bulb for maintaining ambient temperature. You keep talking about a single bulb as if that is all that is needed. If you don't maintain the correct lighting and temperatures, your tortoise will not survive.

You will have a tough time fitting all of the above into a 40 gallon tank and keeping the top covered.

You can use aluminum foil to cover the top.

Have you read the thread that we linked for you? There is a heating and lighting breakdown at the bottom. Please read it. You need an incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store for basking.

Diet info is in the case sheet too. Read. Read. Read.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, I truly understand what is coming down the road. So does my dad, we are getting the 40 gallon tank which we will only use for about 3-6 months, and then we will most likely get a big plastic one. We are getting the 40 gallon one because one of my dads friends have it, so it is free when it would usually be around 200$. I have already planned out the next couple of years if it’s life. We have a cut out section of our yard which we could fence off for next year. We would do that for about a year to make sure Rosie is ready to stay outside. Then, she would live outside and the shed would be ready by then. I know all about the risks and everything, and I really appreciate you guys concerns. The fact is, I am ready to have a sulcata tortoise. Even though it came with a rough start, I am getting it under control so it can grow old happily.
Also, a brand new 40 gallon tank will cost under $100 in a pet store, but that doesn't matter.

Oklahoma
No. That is not the right bulb. You need four bulbs, and the one pictured is not the right one for any of them. Basking bulb, UV bulb, ambient lighting bulb, and a CHE bulb for maintaining ambient temperature. You keep talking about a single bulb as if that is all that is needed. If you don't maintain the correct lighting and temperatures, your tortoise will not survive.

You will have a tough time fitting all of the above into a 40 gallon tank and keeping the top covered.

You can use aluminum foil to cover the top.

Have you read the thread that we linked for you? There is a heating and lighting breakdown at the bottom. Please read it. You need an incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store for basking.

Diet info is in the case sheet too. Read. Read. Read.
Yes, I read each thread and multiple times. I just got kind of confused on the lighting, that is why I wanted to ask about it. I got the idea of pulling weeds from the sheet too, I just wanted to double check everything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, I read each thread and multiple times. I just got kind of confused on the lighting, that is why I wanted to ask about it. I got the idea of pulling weeds from the sheet too, I just wanted to double check everything.
Good. Double and triple check. We are happy to help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think I speak for the group when I say how happy I am that you are taking this great advice after reading your initial post.
It can be very frustrating and expensive buying the correct equipment and setting everything up correctly. Especially for anyone that has already purchased "everything". Only to find out that it's all wrong.
Hang in there. Continue to take advice and you'll soon have everything that you and your tortoise will need for the long term.

Last edited:
Oklahoma
Thank all of you so much! We are still getting everything ordered, so we have to get everything still. I just went to pull some weeds for my tortoise (which was very hard because they mowed yesterday) and I also gave it a piece of Roman lettuce.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank all of you so much! We are still getting everything ordered, so we have to get everything still. I just went to pull some weeds for my tortoise (which was very hard because they mowed yesterday) and I also gave it a piece of Roman lettuce.
You have to identify the weeds outside and only use the correct ones.

Also, babies need tender freshly sprouted grass. When they get bigger they can handle tougher mature yard grass with no problem, but use softer stuff for babies and cut it into 1-2 inch pieces with scissors. Be sure there are no chemicals on your grass too. No "weed n feed" or pesticidal stuff which is common all over the country. Best to sprout your own grass from pasture seed. Don't buy hardware store lawn seed. Go to a local feed store and get pasture seed intended for grazing animals, or order some online.

You can also buy plots of sprouted wheat grass or "cat grass" at pet stores or some supermarkets. If you keep the plot in a window sill with some sunshine and keep it watered, you can get 8 or 9 cuttings from one plot.

Oklahoma
I have an app called the tortoise table, and I also have a plant identification app. I just scan the plant and then look on the tortoise table to see if they can eat it. There are also no chemicals. I will start cutting the grass up. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.