Marginated and Greek tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I was looking at pictures of baby Greek tortoises and I found one but it said it was a Marginated tortoise. Then I looked up greek tortoises and compared. They looked exactly the same! I know mine is a greek (captive bred) but what is the difference between the two? just curious:p.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
They all (Greeks, Marginated and Hermann's) look pretty similar to the layman as babies...and occasionally to the self-coronated "experts", too. ;)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Don't always trust that the photos you're looking at are correctly labeled either. I've seen plenty of mis-labeled photos, particularly in for sale ads by vendors.

Some Northern Mediterranean Ibera Greeks look very much like Marginateds as adults and in fact some may even be interbred and resemble some characteristics of both species. With one exception, Testudo annamurensis, Middle Eastern and North African Greeks are very distinguishable from Marginateds. One key identifying characteristic that all Marginateds generally have are light colored plastrons with matching pairs of triangular brown patches on the plastron.

Status
Not open for further replies.