Marginated

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I've been using hemp bedding ever since I've had my marg who us a little over a year and a half recently he's been squeeking a little every now and then generally when he's chilling out sometimes when he's full under his substrate , I've been recommended to change it but I've also read things on tortoise getting unwell when substrate changed as tortoises don't like change ?? Don't know if this is true and I got told to stop feeding Komodo food as its high in sugar and protein and could cause problems really need to know if anyone else as priced there marg or any tort squeeking and if they've had any problems with hemp any advice would've very appreciated !

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
froggy said:
Hi everyone I've been using hemp bedding ever since I've had my marg who us a little over a year and a half recently he's been squeeking a little every now and then generally when he's chilling out sometimes when he's full under his substrate , I've been recommended to change it but I've also read things on tortoise getting unwell when substrate changed as tortoises don't like change ?? Don't know if this is true and I got told to stop feeding Komodo food as its high in sugar and protein and could cause problems really need to know if anyone else as priced there marg or any tort squeeking and if they've had any problems with hemp any advice would've very appreciated !

Any re-aclimation that your tortoise will go through if you change the substrate will be secondary to providing a better substrate. Don't change the layout of the enclosure, just the substrate. That way, everything (in terms of layout) will be familiar to your tortoise. That cuttlebone needs to be in much smaller pieces too. Younger tortoises usually have a difficult time biting into large cuttlebone. It depends upon how soft each individual cuttlebone happens to be. I am not familiar with Komodo brand foods, it's not readily available here in the U.S. However, any pellet food should be used only as a supplement to a good quality, varied diet of greens and some vegetables. Not as a primary food. Any foods that are high in sugar content and protein should not be a regular part of a tortoises diet. This is especially true of Marginateds, Hermann's and Greek subspecies which are all very easily prone to pyramiding.
The "squeaking" could be any of a number of things. It could be the start of a respiratory infection or other respiratory related problems. One cause may be excessive dust from the current substrate. Marginateds are also very prone to runny nose syndrome (R.N.S.). It is accute with some, chronic with others. Wheezing from breathing difficulty can often be mis-interupted as "squeaking". Are the nasal passages and mouth clear of any fluids or build up?

froggy

5 Year Member
Hi thanks for your reply his mouth an nose. Looks clear ad far as I can tell I'm going to stop with Komodo for a while ad I've taken some substrate out I think he had too much in and he seems more active I'm going to monitor him and see how he goes in terms of the little squeaks if it carrya on I'll have him checked out first thing Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.