Mary's adventures part 1...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
After 12 years experience learning how to negate some of the nefarious activities of a large sulcata (I acquired him at about 60 lbs, now over 100lbs) I have too many examples of him overcoming my efforts to tell them all. I can say this, it really got easier when I learned that if you can block their vision of anything that might be interesting (and that is just about everything) it becomes easier to secure the barricades you have to invent.
It really doesn't matter that you think you have made their universe larger, they will want to get to the other side of anything they can see past. It is amazing what they can and are willing to climb - to the point that you will find them upside-down on occasion (as you can imagine, that is not good in the heat of the day). One would think that instinct would tell them not to attempt such things.
Chain link fences are great but you have to install a "smooth" surface between them and the links in the fence. They love to pace the limits of fence lines and the links in chain-link fences can be tough on the scales on their legs and they just love to use them as climbing walls.
Everyone that talks about their memory is spot on. He, and I, are fortunate to have a large space for him. I once made a not well judged access gate to his enclosure and he found the weakness in it immediately. I found him where he wasn't welcome, pushing a 16 ft extension ladder around the side of the garage. I digress - the point is that I changed that arrangement and he went back to that spot for days trying to get through again. Only people who have experienced it understand their strength and determination.

Absolutely, anyone considering the responsibility of letting a sulcata into their life needs to thoroughly investigate all that goes with it. I have enjoyed every minute of it, had some close calls with my mistakes, and had to go to some expense to keep up with his containment but what joy it is to have them share their lives with you, your family, and your neighbors.

Sorry about the ramblings but it easy to tell long stories about these bulldozers of the natural word.
You can always ramble about Sulcata as far as I'm concerned. Mary K is not my first Sulcata, Bob was 100+. He broke me in...but I too was younger then...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I would take Mary knobbins if I had the space. I re-homed one small tortoise because my life changed and it was more stressful with 3 tortoises. I understand and I truly wish I could help. Lyns would love to have Mary knobbins until it is time to take care of her. Good luck
I know you would...maybe if I get to go see my daughter, I can meet you and your family...She lives in Gloucester

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Yes that would be great!