Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That was really interesting. Thanks for posting it. Hate to see those big ones dead.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Ohh i know its always sad seeing shells....
But that is one BIG red... 24-26 inches for sure WOW

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That picture was first presented as a redfoot (carbonaria) but has now been identified as
a yellowfoot (denticulata) which makes more sense.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have seen some carbonaria this size. Most come from paraguay and southern brazil. These were very very large specimens. However as stated before. Tortoises do not stop growing over a life time. It slows down a great amount. But this seems to be true of dendiculata as well. I have some origin yellow foots from known giants, but yet have to see any true difference between the "giant" and "normal" dendiculata. Great post though. Too bad they are deceased.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are some HUGE red-footeds- no one is sure if they are just really old and few make it that long, or if there is a strain or race or genetic mutation behind it, or what but the largest Vinke and Vetter (South American Tortoises) knew about was a male that was 23.6in/60cm and 61.7lbs/28kg. It was, not surprisingly, from the Gran Chaco too.

The largest yellow-footed they knew about was a female from the St. Louis zoo and was 37in/94cm long and weighted 200lbs/90.72kg! That would be big even for a Sulcata! Heck, it is half a full-grown Galapagos!

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
37" is enough for me bro....... I would be more than happy breaking 20" lol..... I would love to see the giants this site has to offer tho...... :)

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Madkins007 said:
There are some HUGE red-footeds- no one is sure if they are just really old and few make it that long, or if there is a strain or race or genetic mutation behind it, or what but the largest Vinke and Vetter (South American Tortoises) knew about was a male that was 23.6in/60cm and 61.7lbs/28kg. It was, not surprisingly, from the Gran Chaco too.

The largest yellow-footed they knew about was a female from the St. Louis zoo and was 37in/94cm long and weighted 200lbs/90.72kg! That would be big even for a Sulcata! Heck, it is half a full-grown Galapagos!

Madkins007 said:

Peter Pritchard discusses **** Goergen's giant female denticulata (since deceased) in upstate NY.
I understand that the record giant redfoot (2 ft.) cited by Vinke and Vetter
is also deceased. I have a black and white picture of it from one of their
articles in Radiata.
But I believe the shell in question was from Venezuela. There are no
redfoots there of that size.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Holy balls!

Life is good

EricIvins

5 Year Member
redfoots there of that size

I think that's a foolish statement. That shell could have very well originated from Venezuela, or any other country in South America. Just because we know the average size of a given population does not mean that their aren't animals that differ from that phenotype......

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
EricIvins said:

I think that's a foolish statement. That shell could have very well originated from Venezuela, or any other country in South America. Just because we know the average size of a given population does not mean that their aren't animals that differ from that phenotype......

I suppose I should always precede a statement with IMO.
The picture was of a shell in a Venezuelan facility but you're right,
the shell could have been from outside Venezuela.
But do you agree it's not a redfoot shell?
Dan O

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Check the St. Louis Zoo. The ones there are ENORMOUS.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Weldd said:
Check the St. Louis Zoo. The ones there are ENORMOUS.

The ones at the St. Louis Zoo are yellowfoots.
Pretty impressive.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
EricIvins said:

Eric,
Variations in a phenotype can occur and may. New discoveries are (and can
always be) made. South America is a vast continent, much still remote and
unexplored.
But there are no redfoots, with shells as large as in the photo, reported,
recorded, or generally understood to occur in Venezuela.
IMO
Dan O.

Status
Not open for further replies.