Matilda and Jeff Kushner

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
When I realized I again hijacked someone else's thread, I cut immediately so I'm hoping this works...and makes sense...

You made a whole master bedroom for a box turtle? Holy crap! Even I didn't do that...you do know that box turtles don't need a whole room to be happy...?? I had 3 of these made, they are 2.5 ft across and 6ft long. They spend their nights here and in their outside pen daily. I do realize that Matilda is a special box turtle but come on! :)View attachment 337223View attachment 337222
Here are my 2 special favorites..
.100_5169.JPG
The Eastern is Ginger she was sent to me about 10 years ago from a rescue in the Midwest because they had heard that I was good with blind chelonia. She's not blind and I might make a helpful thread about her...the Ornata was rescued in Eastern Oregon and they called me because they'd heard about me and I went and got her.. on the phone call it was a male Russian tortoise and so I hopped in the old IROC and drove to the wilds of Eastern Oregon, 300 miles, with a stop in Pendleton for a hot dog. (sigh) I'm sitting in my clean and shiny red car people watching and holy cow-boy.. I don't think I saw or even noticed anything above Wrangler level. tee hee...So I got this what they had said in the phone call was a male Russian was actually I was a female ornata... for freakin years it's a female, you know me I love to post pictures...so "you know who" saw pictures of the little box turtle, and she waits until a few months ago to declare my female Terrapene ornata ornata a male??? Suspicious, dont'cha think??? Until recently all the box turtles that are pets were female, but for some reason she likes to mess up my genders, somewhat like my odd family. So this is Sam my 3 legged, oh yes..,.that how I got him...the gardner at a golf course ran over her cutting off her leg. He had treated it and so I got this great little turtle and some important eye candy...lol

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I cannot begin to explain the terror when I opened this page and saw this thread............come on, you guys all know what I mean. LOL WHEW!!

Now that I"ve had my fun;
Those guys look great Mags, beautiful, full shells and they look fat...a good kind of fat.....gotta love the Tripods!

It's interesting how some of us enjoy our hobbies so differently.....I never really thought about the gender of my little guys over the years other than as a cursory. yet you (&many others on this forum) actually play Cupid do bring them together.

From a purely bohemian view, I personally think it's great that you and many others on this forum do their best to help them mate/love/reproduce. Turtles help blow the "can't/don't want when your old" myth to pieces!

No silly girl, she does not get her own room. Matilda's tank moved to the bathroom while construction goes on in MY master bedroom, her world didn't change, just her location in the solar system....LOL....but since you drove 300 miles, EACH WAY for a turtle,(very cool rescue btw) of course you might think I was dedicating a room to little matilda<lmao>!

Darren finished yesterday and left around 3pm but it's still gonna take me a month to get the room done so her home can come back......but now I'm thinking I might leave her in the bathroom...permanently so she doesn't have to relocate again. It's a large room which would actually accommodate a 55gal tank & stand(had one setup in there years ago with my sons abandoned-at-home 12" long Oscar that his mom asked me to rescue when he went off to play at law school. That guy was a beast! I used to feed him mice, cats, small dogs, kids, pretty much anything that went in there, got the "big suck".....if you've never seen a large fish eat...they don't move much, they suck in such an amazingly large volume through their gills, the prey item is helpless within the "suction zone" which with him, could extend as far as 2-3" away!

I got to go search for a rug...............

jeff

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I cannot begin to explain the terror when I opened this page and saw this thread............come on, you guys all know what I mean. LOL WHEW!!

Now that I"ve had my fun;
Those guys look great Mags, beautiful, full shells and they look fat...a good kind of fat.....gotta love the Tripods!

It's interesting how some of us enjoy our hobbies so differently.....I never really thought about the gender of my little guys over the years other than as a cursory. yet you (&many others on this forum) actually play Cupid do bring them together.

From a purely bohemian view, I personally think it's great that you and many others on this forum do their best to help them mate/love/reproduce. Turtles help blow the "can't/don't want when your old" myth to pieces!

No silly girl, she does not get her own room. Matilda's tank moved to the bathroom while construction goes on in MY master bedroom, her world didn't change, just her location in the solar system....LOL....but since you drove 300 miles, EACH WAY for a turtle,(very cool rescue btw) of course you might think I was dedicating a room to little matilda<lmao>!

Darren finished yesterday and left around 3pm but it's still gonna take me a month to get the room done so her home can come back......but now I'm thinking I might leave her in the bathroom...permanently so she doesn't have to relocate again. It's a large room which would actually accommodate a 55gal tank & stand(had one setup in there years ago with my sons abandoned-at-home 12" long Oscar that his mom asked me to rescue when he went off to play at law school. That guy was a beast! I used to feed him mice, cats, small dogs, kids, pretty much anything that went in there, got the "big suck".....if you've never seen a large fish eat...they don't move much, they suck in such an amazingly large volume through their gills, the prey item is helpless within the "suction zone" which with him, could extend as far as 2-3" away!

I got to go search for a rug...............

jeff
You made me spit coffee all over my keyboard...You are too funny!!!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Looked at a thousand rugs and I still can't find a rug to order that I like, well for under $4600....THAT rug was beautiful.....but holy moly...4600? Really? People spend that on a 8x12 rug?

I'm more in the 150-300 range for this project but all that's out there are the poly-plastic rugs..ugh....

Oh, and I royally angered Matilda last night.....she was sleeping when I let this worm "burrow" directly into her shell.....she came out "fighting mad" and well, she "ripped him a new one"....dino-style!M5.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought a really nice rug from rugs.com. They have a nice selection and right now some of them are 80% off.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks Y! I looked everywhere over the past week or so. I literally refused to leave the computer after posting that pic this morning...As I was getting ready to do my Rust oleum transformations kit and when the rug arrives, the bed needs to be ready to go onto it. I got my 2nd coat on so I can apply the gloss after 7;30 tonight, then it has to dry overnight before the top coat.

Success though with shopping! It's nuts though with the sheer number of selections, I looked at a thousand rugs, 200 comforter sets, 5 wireless window treatments(for behind the bed, tough access) and another 50 blinds/shades/newcrap for the sliding glass door before selecting one of each.....I was burnt out at the end this morning, and poor, I'm very, very poor but it's my, To Jeff; From Jeff, Christmas/BD present and since Kerry's gift is already in the closet, no guilt!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm anxious to see the finished room.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thanks Y! I looked everywhere over the past week or so. I literally refused to leave the computer after posting that pic this morning...As I was getting ready to do my Rust oleum transformations kit and when the rug arrives, the bed needs to be ready to go onto it. I got my 2nd coat on so I can apply the gloss after 7;30 tonight, then it has to dry overnight before the top coat.

Success though with shopping! It's nuts though with the sheer number of selections, I looked at a thousand rugs, 200 comforter sets, 5 wireless window treatments(for behind the bed, tough access) and another 50 blinds/shades/newcrap for the sliding glass door before selecting one of each.....I was burnt out at the end this morning, and poor, I'm very, very poor but it's my, To Jeff; From Jeff, Christmas/BD present and since Kerry's gift is already in the closet, no guilt!
Personally I do believe you have gone over the edge...but...several months ago I bought something for myself that I have wanted for over 60 years...a soft heavy chenille bedspread with fringe... came with pillow decoration....
100_0763.JPG
they help me read the newspaper every morning...I realize that I totally love animals and my interaction with them...IE
You see 2 cats on the bed...in actuality, I got up to get my coffee and lost my place on the bed...
100_0812.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
here is another of my 'pet' box turtles(as opposed to rehab and gone). This is Chewy...2 years ago when I went to help my broken sister I noticed that this little turtle rarely moved and never ate. So I did what you do and when it was time to go home I asked my sister and took her home. The turtle, not my sister...we both called her the "dog-chewed rescue"...but I changed it to Chewy...what else? lol...so this is her...
She got soaked in strained carrots every day for 3 weeks, that's three weeks. As soon as possible I started putting her outside in the box turtle pond...
100_0326.JPG
she would immediately swim away from to the other side, where the slugs are...she'd eat a ton of slugs then crash out...she's still wild as heck and she needs to be the only turtle inside...but as long as I don't pick her up she sorta accepts me...At my sisters she'd be hibernating now...here she has to stay up to entertain me...
100_0364.JPG

Attachments

• 100_5257.JPG
    100_5257.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 7

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
here is another of my 'pet' box turtles(as opposed to rehab and gone). This is Chewy...2 years ago when I went to help my broken sister I noticed that this little turtle rarely moved and never ate. So I did what you do and when it was time to go home I asked my sister and took her home. The turtle, not my sister...we both called her the "dog-chewed rescue"...but I changed it to Chewy...what else? lol...so this is her...
She got soaked in strained carrots every day for 3 weeks, that's three weeks. As soon as possible I started putting her outside in the box turtle pond...
View attachment 337381
she would immediately swim away from to the other side, where the slugs are...she'd eat a ton of slugs then crash out...she's still wild as heck and she needs to be the only turtle inside...but as long as I don't pick her up she sorta accepts me...At my sisters she'd be hibernating now...here she has to stay up to entertain me...
View attachment 337382
this photo didn't post...100_5296.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Personally I do believe you have gone over the edge...but...several months ago I bought something for myself that I have wanted for over 60 years...a soft heavy chenille bedspread with fringe... came with pillow decoration....
View attachment 337374
they help me read the newspaper every morning...I realize that I totally love animals and my interaction with them...IE
You see 2 cats on the bed...in actuality, I got up to get my coffee and lost my place on the bed...
View attachment 337376
RED? It must not have come in Lilac.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Completely overlooking the "broken sister" comment of course, (like a laser lol) Good for you for treating yourself Mags! A good heavy comforter is embracing at night when it's cold and wow, that is RED! Red & Lilac...odd to like both, isn't it? My redheads (2 girls) both like purple....but both hate red...wonder why?

Like many here, I had Depression-parents....as we can all agree, they never treated themselves and they imparted that to many of us....thankfully while I do appreciate that they gave up so we could have, I got past that BS right after my kids grew up!

Chewy's shell has seen some rough days but she's nice and full inside her shell. What causes them to peal on box turtles? With my water turtles, it was very common and with a bunch, you have a LOT of them at the bottom of the tanks. I always thought it was the salt in my water since it got worse when I moved back to a well/septic home.

I deeply suspect that Mags isn't the only one to make the realization that to see the edge, I need only look up...I fell, leaped or tripped over that edge many, many moons ago. lol

Kerry tells me that she's never seen anyone "do" a room how I do it. After available funds have been stashed, I try to see the vision of the room, then buy it. So simple even a plumber can do it! For me, it's usually easy to conceptualize and see what I want rather that assemble pieces that work together. The hard part for me is finding the things in my visions, for a reasonable cost-v-use. I renovated the 2nd bdrm like that when Kerry was in Covid-lockdown in Fla and it came out fantastic.

Jury is still out on this one though. The 70's furniture only has 2.75 two-hole cabinet pull centers, greatly limiting the selections......nice brushed nickel cabinet hardware would have been over 300 alone. Ouch...for a 2-3 year room before I sell and move with Kerry? No.... I went with Home Depot antique brass since I won't have to replace my hinges as well that way...total outlay 54 bucks. Not thrilled with the selection but we'll see how it comes together. I'm rambling again....dang, and I'm at work too.....

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Completely overlooking the "broken sister" comment of course, (like a laser lol) Good for you for treating yourself Mags! A good heavy comforter is embracing at night when it's cold and wow, that is RED! Red & Lilac...odd to like both, isn't it? My redheads (2 girls) both like purple....but both hate red...wonder why?

Like many here, I had Depression-parents....as we can all agree, they never treated themselves and they imparted that to many of us....thankfully while I do appreciate that they gave up so we could have, I got past that BS right after my kids grew up!

Chewy's shell has seen some rough days but she's nice and full inside her shell. What causes them to peal on box turtles? With my water turtles, it was very common and with a bunch, you have a LOT of them at the bottom of the tanks. I always thought it was the salt in my water since it got worse when I moved back to a well/septic home.

I deeply suspect that Mags isn't the only one to make the realization that to see the edge, I need only look up...I fell, leaped or tripped over that edge many, many moons ago. lol

Kerry tells me that she's never seen anyone "do" a room how I do it. After available funds have been stashed, I try to see the vision of the room, then buy it. So simple even a plumber can do it! For me, it's usually easy to conceptualize and see what I want rather that assemble pieces that work together. The hard part for me is finding the things in my visions, for a reasonable cost-v-use. I renovated the 2nd bdrm like that when Kerry was in Covid-lockdown in Fla and it came out fantastic.

Jury is still out on this one though. The 70's furniture only has 2.75 two-hole cabinet pull centers, greatly limiting the selections......nice brushed nickel cabinet hardware would have been over 300 alone. Ouch...for a 2-3 year room before I sell and move with Kerry? No.... I went with Home Depot antique brass since I won't have to replace my hinges as well that way...total outlay 54 bucks. Not thrilled with the selection but we'll see how it comes together. I'm rambling again....dang, and I'm at work too.....
My sister WAS broken...she fell in her pasture...and broke her left wrist and right leg. So she couldn't exactly feed her hundreds of chelonia, her feral cat colony and her giant Dobe, Misty. She did kick me out after 2 weeks tho...
The little ornata that I brought home was chewed by a dog so that's what her healed carapace looks like...I think that's bone? But that's how my sis got her, now I got her and she really is a great little turtle to have...easy keeper. I was getting a very nice Ornata hear, creep? Anyway, but I decided that I need tp make it easier on myself so I have been finding home for the rehab group and just kept my pets...ornates are said to be difficult to keep in captivity, but I have always done fairly well with them...100_0326.JPG
100_0909.JPG

Last edited:

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Holy Gosh...glad you were able to aid and abet.......course to an outsider, it looks like you took the opportunity to jack one of her turtles....but that's just the optics....LOL

Sure that you guys know it.....but you're both very lucky...........most families aren't that tight.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Holy Gosh...glad you were able to aid and abet.......course to an outsider, it looks like you took the opportunity to jack one of her turtles....but that's just the optics....LOL

Sure that you guys know it.....but you're both very lucky...........most families aren't that tight.
My family is not 'tight'. Y and I are close, we don't like anybody together..lol I am very grateful for my relationship with her...I rarely leave her home with nothing. I always bring back something that eats...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

I am very lucky to have her for my sister..now if she would help me with my 2 desires of tortoise species...and she 'could' help if she would...she has a young Texas tortoise I would love to have...and I want a Chaco. I sure would take her blind Manouria too.. least I think it was Manouria...I am lucky, very lucky as she may turn me down for the Texas she rarely says no when I point at stuff...last trip I came home with nothing alive altho I was supposed to bring a very colorful 3-toed but forgot it. I brought home 4 different cactus', a couple of other plants, a cat thingy, a plant stand...and a piece of driftwood with a burro tail in it...years I have wanted that and she says no... a word I am not used to hearing from her...but I got it this time...
Here's the plant stand with a couple of my cactus' that the torts don't eat...yet I am constantly getting spines in me...100_1020.JPG
this is the cat thingy...the head and tail vibrate...so kewl...I just love it...
100_1019.JPG

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Gratitude.......it shows! I like the Cactus.....meh on the Cat......but you like it and that's all that matters.

I have gratitude this morning for a lot of things but mainly for FRIDAY & that I don't work at 7-11!!!

I drive into the office at 4;40 this morning and the police have the 7-11 next door lit up again but I don't see any tape so all is well with the world. They usually pull out the tape when shots have been fired, about every 3rd or 4th robbery. Over the past 5-6 yrs, they run around 5-6 robberies a year with a definite uptick. I give those 3-4 folks who usually run it credit, they are willing to die for a dollar.......guess they somehow see it differently. lol

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Gratitude.......it shows! I like the Cactus.....meh on the Cat......but you like it and that's all that matters.

I have gratitude this morning for a lot of things but mainly for FRIDAY & that I don't work at 7-11!!!

I drive into the office at 4;40 this morning and the police have the 7-11 next door lit up again but I don't see any tape so all is well with the world. They usually pull out the tape when shots have been fired, about every 3rd or 4th robbery. Over the past 5-6 yrs, they run around 5-6 robberies a year with a definite uptick. I give those 3-4 folks who usually run it credit, they are willing to die for a dollar.......guess they somehow see it differently. lol
No, it's "I'm entitled to whatever I want when I want it," & it's supported by DA's & judges who no longer do their jobs. I hope your building is secure.