Mating of a turtle and a tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
yagyujubei said:
What about a Humanzee? Human x Chimpanzee? I would be amazed, if this hasn't been attempted. Probably be best to keep it to yourself, though.

Ive tried it, You should see my family :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
wellington said:
Can't people stop with hybrids, or like the idiot dog people like to call it, designer dogs/breeds. They are mutts! Nothing bad with mutts, until you start breeding them on purpose.

That's the most wrong thing I've ever read.

Dogs are domestic wolves, and all belong to the same species: Canis lupus. Therefore, mutts are not interspecific hybrids. They are simply dogs. A mixed-breed dog is no more a hybrid than a mixed-race person - in fact, less so, because human races evolved through natural selection relatively long ago, while dog breeds arose via artificial selection more recently. Genetically speaking, the difference between a chihuahua and a mastiff is very small.

Actually, if you think about it, it's the pedigreed purebred dogs that have been artificially selected to diverge from their wolfish ancestors.

I don't like the term "designer" dog, either, but I don't think the people who breed them are idiots at all. Any animal artificially selected for certain traits is "designed," whether it's a dog, a lizard, or a fish ... and that includes purebred dogs.

To use the term, though, I'd rather get a designer dog than a purebred because it's less likely to be inbred, and more likely to be healthy. For example, the Tamaskan is a "designer" dog, with Siberian husky, Alaskan Malamute, and German shepherd in its lineage. But they are healthy, beautiful dogs. Check this one out:

Tamaskan_dog.jpg

Awesome, isn't it? And it's a "mutt." But I wouldn't have it any other way.

And what's wrong with breeding mutts on purpose, anyway? They are dogs, pure and simple. In fact, mutts tend to be the healthiest dogs of all, precisely because they are less likely to be inbred. I'd rather get a wildtype mutt over a purebred any day ... and indeed, I have.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
GeoTerraTestudo

That is one beautiful dog and if he were a breed, I'd want one. The terrible thing about mutts is you adopt great one, you can never get another one even close. I've had several dogs in my life and the best ones were all mutts.

Each of the pure breeds had "secret" genetic abnormalities. I love(d) them all the same, but mutts are much easier.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
fbsmith3:

Northern Inuit dogs, utonogans, and tamaskans are considered rare breeds by some, "designer" dogs (and therefore "mutts") by others. But they were bred to make good pets that look wolf-like with no recent wolf blood, so that's what they're like.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
I tried to hybrid a rabbit and a bear but the only result was a rabbit with an asshole than 15cm in diameter ... :)

hybridization is definitely against nature

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
fbsmith3 said:
First a tortoise and turtle hybrid is impossible. Second they say human.chimpanzee hybrid was unsuccessful. In all honesty would you want a human with minimul mental capacity and the strength.of 5 men running around. Forget ethics, this person would be dangerous.

You just described my wife's ex-husbands girlfriend. A 6'2" 300lb Sasquatch. :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Julius25 said:
I tried to hybrid a rabbit and a bear but the only result was a rabbit with an asshole than 15cm in diameter ... :)

hybridization is definitely against nature

ROTFLOL

Status
Not open for further replies.